Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Learned something today - went to the fridge for some salad dressing I made up a week ago- olive oil, vinegar, spices. It had solidified over a week. WTF?

Did some reading and apparently olive oil is rich in mono-unsaturated fat, which can solidify at lower temps. Poly-unsaturated fat, like corn oil and other vegetable oils, less likely to do so.

So, if you're making and consuming fresh dressing, olive oil is fine, but for storage other oils are probably better.

Also learned that if you let the dressing come up to room temperature it re-liquifies for use. But it's a nuisance! So my next batch will be made with grapeseed oil.

· Bart Harmeling
3,817 Posts
We've been using Avacado oil for higher temps. Smoke point is 520 and it is mostly mono-saturated.

*Checked a few websites. Some say 520, others say 400. 520 seems high to me, but whichever range they use, the Avacado oil has the highest smoke point temp.

· Registered
8,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I find that grapeseed oil works as hot as I care to crank up the stove. Made some more dressing, waiting to see how it handles the cold ;-)

· Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
Melt in your mouth Paleo homemade chocolate candy! A healthier alternative to store-bought chocolates especially for children on the spectrum as it's low GI, dairy free with none of the additives and preservatives. And it only takes 5 minutes to whip up a batch. Add 1 cup pure cocoa powder, 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil and 1/2 cup Manuka honey, mix well. Pour into paper cases and chill in the freezer. This is strictly freezer to mouth as it melts quickly.

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
If I’m cooking in a skillet then we use avocado oil on medium to high heat or olive oil at lower temps but if were deep frying then we go with a peanut or corn oil. We’ve steered away from the classic vegetable oil.
If I remember right avocado oil isn’t recommended for deep frying....
But if I’m cooking breakfast we use good old fashioned bacon grease for eggs or making gravy😁

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.