Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I was just wondering what books you all preferred to read about trad archery as far as techniques go. Just looking for some good reading material. Thanks in advanced!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Youll get better advice on forum than you will from some of the most popular books.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Walnut -

It depends on what you mean . . . “trad” archery has many interpretations.

• English long bows
  • Hill style long bows
  • Turkish
  • Ottoman
  • Euro-Asian
  • Classic Chinese (Qing dynasty)
  • East Indian (Mughal)

. . . the list goes on and goes on . . .

so . . . what flavor of “trad” archery do you mean ?

regards,

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Books like become the arrow by Byron Ferguson.... Ive read that one before and was instead in it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Walnut -

Although is it not a book the videos published by Wolfie Hughes are interesting.

“What kind of archer do you want to be ? ”

regards,

John

Reactions: crunch and Walnut

·
Registered
700 Posts
."Shooting the Stickbow" should be an automatic purchase for any new(or experienced) archer.

Im not sure its what the OP is talking about though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
."Shooting the Stickbow" should be an automatic purchase for any new(or experienced) archer.
I'm a big reader, and a big fan of e-readers like the Amazon Kindles. That said, some books just don't translate to that format well. Particularly because referencing specific information is just easier when you can flip through real pages. Any suggestions whether this book would work in the Kindle format, or should it be a paper or hardback purchase.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I'll take this forum and certain YouTube channels over almost any print resource.
Also the books by Martin Godio are excellent if not particularly well known.

Reactions: beleg2back

·
Registered
359 Posts

Im not sure its what the OP is talking about though.
I was given this book when I started into traditional from a member here and I believe it’s a must have book whether a beginner or seasoned archer.

·
Haybale Hunter
300 Posts
I'm a big reader, and a big fan of e-readers like the Amazon Kindles. That said, some books just don't translate to that format well. Particularly because referencing specific information is just easier when you can flip through real pages. Any suggestions whether this book would work in the Kindle format, or should it be a paper or hardback purchase.
Really a matter of opinion but when given the option, a real, physical paper book wins every time. Something just too artificial and bland about a kindle [ I wont call it a kindle 'book', more like a data set ].

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really a matter of opinion but when given the option, a real, physical paper book wins every time. Something just too artificial and bland about a kindle [ I wont call it a kindle 'book', more like a data set ].
Storing physical books was our driver for the Kindles. The Kindles let us get back about 40 or 50 feet of shelf space.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,566 Posts
Archery Anatomy by Ray Axford is a great book. It will give you a good understanding of anatomy in relation to form.

It is a good companion to a book like Shooting the Stickbow.

·
Haybale Hunter
300 Posts
Storing physical books was our driver for the Kindles. The Kindles let us get back about 40 or 50 feet of shelf space.
Yeah but whats the point of a book shelf with no books on it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah but whats the point of a book shelf with no books on it?
We still have books on it. Just not "story" books. I've got a small library of text books for Cisco and Juniper hardware. Some Linux, Unix and python. Hunting, fishing, hiking stuff as well as hardbacks for our favorite series'. We just got rid of the giant collection of soft backs.

To be fair though, some did get reused for displaying photos, momentos and nick knacks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts