Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a bear grizzly Friday and was wondering what arrows I should get. I think I want carbon but I want them to look wooden. Any help would be appreciated. Weight of arrow and make and model

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Boost - personally I would stick with carbon. The carbon express mid-priced shafts are great for the money. If you want wood grain gold tip traditionals are good but all that wood grain coating does is add weight to the shaft - personally if I'm adding weight I'd rather be adding it to the tip.

Matt

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with Matt, if this is your first recurve go a bit lighter in the draw weight category at least down to 40 or 45#s tops. and work on your form. If you can, buy a "take-down" that way when you want to go up in draw weight you only have to buy another set of limbs that fit the riser and not a whole new bow.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Boosted!

Assuming you will indeed go through with the purchase of a 50# Bear Grizzly, and that you have a "normal" draw length in the 27-29" range, I'd suggest you buy some 3555 Goldtip Traditional shafts in .006" straightness. They are usually 30" shafts uncut. Put some 4 or 5" feathers on them and some 125gr points. That should get you in the ballpark to start out and tune from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys I do have a 35# no namer that I shoot regularly. And a buddy of mine has a 50# that I shot a lot.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also think the Gold Tip Traditional wood grain is a good choice. At 50# you can make a 430-440 grain arrow with 125 grain tip which puts you in the 8.5 to 9.0 gpp range. So unless you want to go to 8 gpp, these are a good choice. If you want 8 gpp, then Matt brings up a good point about the shaft weight maybe being a tad too heavy for good FOC, but still a 100 grain point on those shafts will fly reasonably well.

I'll point out that although the recommended 3555 spine is probably correct, I use 5575 shafts on my 55# Sage. At my draw of 27.25", this is 53# and those 5575's at 28" length and 125 gn points are perfect for me. So, you could be on the border between 3555's and 5575's.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Consider Axis woodgrain, 600's they are 7.9 gpi, they fly great with a lighter tip and light vanes/3"feathers and being "skinny" give you a closer to centre shot. BUT... they are not cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Boosted

Welcome to the forum.
If you've been shooting your friends 50lb bow you are familiar with trad bows. If you have shot a 50lb bow a lot & it is comfortable, I think I'd get a 50# bow. I have a 1970 Grizzly & it's a dream to shoot.

If you want your arrows to look wooden why not just go with wood? It's a good choice & they will shoot well. There are a number of suppliers who offer wooden arrows. I like wooden arrows & they will fit that Grizzly really well.
A 50# bow & if you draw an actual 28" I'd suggest 50/55lb spine. If you call 3-Rivers archery they will be happy to suggest an arrow that would fit you.
Good luck, good shooting.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The Carbon Express Heritage shafts are another wood grain look alike shaft.

I shot the 150's cut to 29" and with 100g brass inserts and 100g field points or broad heads from my 50lb Dorado.

My favourite carbon.

John.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I shoot Easton Raider. They are sold exclusively at Dicks sporting goods and they come prefletched with vanes, but they fly excellent and you can't find a better price out there

·
Registered
465 Posts
Anyone have a preference on feathers? Brand, type, size?
I buy feathers from Sagittarius Archery. They are cheap and good quality. Last time I checked they were $25 per 100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts