Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The springy has been around for a long time and many here use it. Bob Gordon said it was "Bomb proof" and used them on some Bows for 20+ years.

How do you set yours up for Target and Hunting and what are the benefits as you see it with the Springy rests?

Also please list all the sources you know of where we can buy springy rests and make recommendations on how to tune them.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0FEJGXmTNhYUyPQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.eW0&cad=rja

I have used a springy rest for a long time. The fellow that taught me to string walk used one so I fellowed his instructions. when he passed away (many yrs agon now) his wife gave me a lot of his archery odds and ends including a coffee can half full of springs and screws for springy rest. it was actually some time before I knew there were different spring wieghts.

I saw a comment from bob Gordon that he recommend the stoutest spring. I don't know what wieght springs I have but it got me to thinking what work a spring does if any. To kinda check the weight of the springs I have I order some springs from Martin. the ones i have seem to be as stout as martin's stoutest.

I can't see wanting a spring to flex at all when being shot, so I wonder why there are lighter springs?

ya got any idea what exactly a spring should do when being shot?

rusty

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ijsNklY_1G_SXMQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.eW0&cad=rja

Original SPRINGY Arrow Rest

US Pat. #4,299,195 Pat Norris
Complete Springy system with ONE spring of your choice.
RH or LH 10 black, 15 gold irodine, 20 silver cad, 25 Black, and 30 copper irodine.

Developed by Bill Dahl (deceased). Bill asigned the rights to Pat Norris back in 1974.
Bill made the first one from a carborator spring.
My friend Bill Dahl was a championship quality archer with a recurve bow and later a compound. We developed the Original Springy rest with a curved arm. All companies that copied us had a hard time copying the curved arm. Ours went through a special heat treating that made them stronger and more flexible in 360 degrees. This movement helped to absorb just about all archer induced conflicks and torgue.

For tunning almost all of the great shots both recurve and compound that shot the Springy paper tunned their bows at 6 to 8 feet and wanted a 1/4 inch tear towards 11:00 o'clock instead of a perfect tear.

I later designed a micro-adjustable stainless steel Springy holding system. Unfortunately I sold them all and would have to order 2500 to keep it resonable in price. I would gladly accept both retail and whole purchase orders to reach that amount and bring it back to the market.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bought 3 feet of this on Fleabay

Threaded Rod, Alloy 360 Brass, 5/16-24, 3 ft, Right Hand, Class 1A
Item price
$17.65
Quantity
Item number
Shipping service
Standard Shipping

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My new Mini Lathe will get a workout. Doe's anyone know what the thread size is for the screw that holds the spring on?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I just bought one from BPE at my local store. He seemed to have a pile of them, not sure if NOS or what.

For target use a lot of classic BB and BH archers were using the lighter spring. Generally it seems that a lighter arrow wants the lighter spring.

The main advantage of the springy is it's vertical give. I've found that I can run a lower nocking point with one when shooting 3-under. Also they can reduce your point-on distance by a bit, especially the lighter springs.

The only real disadvantages of the springy seems to be setting them up (Gary's version fixes this), they are a bit noisy on the draw and they can shred fletchings easier then a normal rest when out of tune.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
By the way,,for guys making their own DAS Caption bolts? I bought a few and will share these with you to buy if you want? Just use a piece of all thread and once you have the proper length of the bolt, epoxy the thumb nut on the back and use a rubber washer.

1/4-20 Knurled Thumb Nut 10-Pack - Aluminum Black Anodized Finish
Item price
$6.99
Quantity
Item number
Shipping service
USPS First Class Package

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
It's the arrow on the arm that makes noise. You can use a teflon sleeve but I've never found they last all that long.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sam the accu tune brass rest that Hoyt made were tapped 4-40 when they would strip out I would just retap them 5-40 good as new. The new one I have been selling are 5-40 I have even gone as far as 6-32 you just have to be careful as not to get so big your spring won't accept the screw.

Silicone on the coils would stop the vertical movement which helps the rest be very forgiving especially when string walking.

Next just put a very small bend at the tip of the spring so it is inline with the arrow. This helps quiet the arrow drag and helps not eat up your feathers when your tune is not perfect.

I wrap my spring with mole skin for hunting just cut a piece about 1/8" x 1" then wrap it around the spring and the first coil. It looks like a ******* wrapped it but it works and is Deadly silent.
When I learn how to post pics it will be plain as day.
Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.