Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. I wanted to make sure I covered everything I could.

I’m looking to get into archery for the first time—just target shooting for recreation, no hunting. Until recently (a week ago), I had never shot an arrow. While it’s something that I’ve always been curious about, I’ve not really had the disposable income to try it, but I do now (thanks Uncle Sam!). I want to get into traditional archery, specifically recurve bows. I’ve done as much research as I can via the Internet and have some ideas, but I would like to get any input and advice from people who know what they’re talking about.

What I’m thinking:
I know it shouldn’t be a huge concern, but, aesthetically speaking, I prefer the look of wood risers to the carbon/metal ones. Also, from the few bows I’ve been looking at, I would like to stick to wood or black limbs. I really don’t like the looks of the white ones. As far as info about me, I have a few facts that have led me to the bows I’m thinking about. I have a DL between 28”-30”. I came to this conclusion from doing the armspan (72”) divided by 2.5 which, when I did the math, came out to 28.8” but, at a shop, was “right around 28”. By holding the end of the tape measure in the web between my thumb and index finger, I got 29.5”. I know that these are only estimates, but after going to two shops and contacting a third, it seems like I might have to settle for estimates. The first refused to measure my DL; the second did the armspan divided by 2.5; the third has not returned my emails. So, it seems as though I’m SOL. The other shops are too far for me to travel currently.

I would like to start with a weight of 25-30# just to be able to focus on the basics. Plus, I was able to shoot a 45# and 50# bow and I struggled! I now know that that’s too much for me right now. I’m not sure about length. I was leaning towards 64”-68”. I’m not sure what might be best for my estimated DL.

I’m leaning towards take-downs at this point since I would be able to change the limbs to increase weight and not buy a whole new bow. I keep seeing that ILF setups are great and they seem that way to me. But, I’d like to hold off on those due to my limited knowledge and experience and budget. I’d like to try to get everything I need to start for around $200 (maybe a little more) including bow, stringer, armguard, tab/glove, rest—I’m planning on shooting bare bow from the shelf to start—and ½ dozen arrows. I don’t want to spend $500 just to find out that I’m not as into it as I thought I would be, and I just don’t have that much right now. With all of this in mind, I’m leaning towards a Samick Journey, a Sebastian Flute Inferno, an OMP Explorer, or a Ragim Crossfire (I could only find this last one on eBay, but it seems like a good deal?). The SF and Ragim are available in 66” and the Samick and OMP are available in 64”.

Any input that you all could give me would be much appreciated.

· Registered
6,899 Posts
Welcome :)

I'd recommend shopping at Lancaster Archery Supply, they are good people who support the community and also have the best prices.

For target work I personally like a longer bow. Generally longer draw archers such as yourself will do best with one at least 68". While you can't order one like that directly (in your budget) there is a way to get one put together.

Simply order a Samick Polaris 66" riser (this is the handle bit) and a set of Journey limbs. That will net you a 68" bow that shoots nice and smoothly. That combo should be about $130 and you will need a 68AMO string (lengths are sold by how long the bow is).

For equipment you will need a tab (Bateman 3 under is great) and armguard. A quiver is nice but not required. You will also need a stringer.

For arrows I would recommend a 600 spine carbon left full-length with 3" feathers.

-Grant

Reactions: Craig713

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Grant, if I order the polaris riser and journey limbs (great idea BTW), how do I figure out the draw weight? If I'm correct in my thinking, the journey limbs are rated at a certain # at 28". If I put those limbs on a longer riser, the # will go down, right? If this is right, how much will it change?

The journey limbs go up to 60# at 28" and the Polaris only goes up to 40#. Do I need to worry about how much I increase the limbs over time? Will the polaris riser fail of I use limbs rated above the normal limbs for that riser? (Pleas note, I'm not even considering going above the 30# journey limbs at first. I'm just thinking ahead for when I want to increase the limb weight)

As far as ordering stuff, I've had LAS's site up on my computer for several weeks now. That's almost definitely who I will go with.

· Civil but Disobedient
10,897 Posts
Rule of thumb is that the weight will go down 1 pound for each added inch of total bow length. It depends on bow design, draw weight, and other factors, but that will get you close enough. That will make it a 2 pound drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.