Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys this is Robert in Charleston, SC., I think getting ready to take my medicine and be berated. Know it's taking me some guts to tell you all this. I have never hunted with a recurve or longbow, only compound. With the compound I have had lots of success. With my recurves and longbow, I have never become proficient enough to hunt. Then this happened.

I had been getting very good at 20 yards with my mamba 65 at 28. Feeling confident I thought I'd take a shot at a squirrel in the back yard. With a field point I actually hit this dude. This squirrel then RAN AWAY with my semi-expensive arrow (3 rivers archery). It went up a tree (with my arrow) fell to my snobby neighbors yard and climbed another. I have searched continually for the animal and my arrow and could find neither.

I know that in an actual hunting scenario I'd have a broad head. But my confidence now is shot. I'm left with feelings of having to stay with a compound. What would happen if that was a whitetail?

I know you all will scold for having done this. But how can a tiny animal run away with my arrow from a 65 pound mamba? Somebody reel me in, and remember: I'm new here, and I want very much to make the transition from compound to recurve/and our longbow. Trying to get more skills.

Thanks. Robert in Charleston, SC. Oh and I'm 50 so please don't treat me like a kid, even though I've acted like one. Thanks

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Robert, welcome to the forum. I don't hunt so I won't preach and it sounds like you're smarter now than you were before. When your pulse settles you'll realise that you have taken deer with a broadhead, not a field point, same logic applies to hunting with a recurve.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've lost a couple maybe three arrows shooting squirrels with blunt flu flus, don't know where the arrows went but it couldn't have been very far, lots of thick underbrush where I hunt, also a heavy canopy overhead. The squirrels? all but one ended up in the pot this year.
It happens, don't berate yourself too severely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern is this: if a squirrel can survive (even for 1/2 hour) and run away with my arrow, SHOT FROM A 65 POUND MAMABA, seems like I'm just not allowed to make a mistake on big game. Online video is making it look easy. So many guys taking big game w recurve and longbow. Envious but not very skilled with these beautiful bows. Would have starved with such a bow in olden days. Frustrated. Why can't I have these skills? I can not go any higher poundage. I am strong but can't pull any more than 65.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
What is your DL on recurve and compound?

-Grant

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Robert
Welcome to tradtalk.
Two things off the bat, animal will run when shot with a field point, and a long way, I've done it with rabbits and when I finally recover the rabbit and arrow. The arrow has been ran through so many rocks it looks like it's been through a wood chipper.
Old broadheads work fantastic for squirrels and rabbits. Blunts are ok but they can and do penetrate and still run.
Squirrels and small game absorb a lot of the arrows energy, once hit the energy of the arrow pushes/shoves them, so NOT getting a pass through is very common.
Deer size game, a pass through can be accomplished with a 40-45# bow and a sharp broadhead and good shot placement.
At your weight of bow you can blow the arrow through an elk with no problems.

Chad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My DL is 27 1/4. If I'm tired or inattentive to technique it's 26 1/4. The national obsession with arrow speed does not resonate with me so I'm using long, fat arrows with 125G field points and broad heads for ALL my bows. Don't know if that's right or wrong.

I want to offer thanks to you all for talking me down about this backyard squirrel that ran away with my Gold Tip arrow and with real feather fletching. Thank you. I don't think I'll ever take a shot at another squirrel again but will continue bow practice as usual. My goal is to become proficient and confident.

I'm glad I finally found you guys, as here in S.C. it seems like I'm the only guy hunting with a bow, of any kind. I'm really from GA. where the bowhunting community is terrific. Everybody bow hunts in GA. Here in coastal Carolina I am surrounded by piles of shelled corn, deer-dogs and firearms. I am well pressured to hunt with guns and dogs but have refused. I'm brand new to S.C. Ok wife wants me to come to dinner. Gotta close out. Thanks fellas.

Sincerely,

Robert

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Robert, I'm Dewayne Martin and can normally hit most of what I aim at...however I shot a doe this year thru the guts at 11 yards!!!

I'm an IBO 3X World Champion....this don't happen to me I thought!!!

If you're an archer you will make less than perfect shots that don't kill animals as quickly as you'd like..learn from your mistakes if you made any.

I shot a poor rabbit once 6 times with wood arrows and it lived I know for an hour...the first 6 months I shot trad..I don't do rabbits no more!!

You shot a tiny,very tough animal..if that would have been a deer it would have died in minutes.

Dewayne

Reactions: badkitty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dwayne. That testimony is making me feel a little better. One thing I am good at is getting very close to deer. Live and learn though. I guess I have been in denial about this creature running away with me arrow. Even after if climbed a tree with the arrow, and then fell from that tree and thumped the ground, it was still able to run with my arrow, climb a second tree, and then disappear. Mystifying.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Weight or speed has nothing to do with killing power of a bow. That field point is the worst thing you could have shot it with. A punch through hole with minumum bleeding results in a frisky wounded animal. Broadheads kill by hemorage. A broadhead would have put it down quickly and hopefully the same for any deer or other game you shoot at in the future..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uh yeah I get that Red Dog. My shot at the squirrel in the back yard was frivolous, and I won't do that again. And as I said in my first post I kill a lot of deer with my compound, so um yeah I understand how broad heads work. All the best.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Welcome to the forum, robert!

Sorry to hear about your squirrel-shooting experience. They are tough little critters and it's quite possible that your shot simply did not result in a fatal wound.

If you are confident with your shooting out to 20yds or so and you keep your shots at deer even closer, you will likely be just as successful with your recurve as you have been with your compound. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too badly. It was simply a poor head choice for ANY living animal and reflects only that... nothing negative about draw weight, bow manufacturer or traditional equipment in general.

I hunt squirrels a LOT with my selfbows in weights from 55-65 lbs. The key to successfully making a clean, quick kill on them is the head used. I use Magnus small game heads which are metal blunts with bleeder blades inserted. They do very well on the squirrels, killing with both shock and hemmorage. Field points offer neither.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well this sounds kinda familiar...just not with a squirrel

When I was a teenager (about 1,000000 years ago according to my daughter)

I had this crummy little Sears brand fiberglass bow.....I was out in the field behind the local school with a buddy shooting it and some seagulls flew by...maybe a 100 feet up....and for a reason I can't really identify....I'm sure in my mind I never expected to hit one....I let loose with one of my cheap field point tipped arrows at the seagulls only to hear a rather soilid thunk an instant later as the arrow stuck in the seagull with maybe an inch sticking out of the top of the bird....the gull staggard in the air but then kept on flying....with my arrow hanging straight down out of him....slowly flying off with his buddies till he was out of sight.......:mistake:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Robert, again welcome.
As stated the poundage of the bow has nothing to do with you losing the squirrel. Hitting the squirrel proves your shooting good. Also as stated squirrels are REALLY tough animals. You've been told about deer and using broadheads so I won't expound. I will tell you about a very, very old small game head that I find nobody ever talks about or uses except a very few that I've seen. It's called a nutter. It is by far the cheapest yet most effective small game head I've seen.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.