Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago my father-in-law tried to give me a old Bear recurve. I didnt want to take as he bought it new in like 1960. Well he just passed away and my mother-in-law insisted I take it as she knows my love for hunting. It's Bear Alaskan, 62" / 45#, has black and orange limbs. My question. I would love to hunt with it as my father-in-law told me several stories of deer he harvested with this bow. But, if it's vintage and worth quite a bit or if being that old it may cause damage I'll put it up. Not sure?

·
Bart Harmeling
3,491 Posts
Some pictures of the riser, limbs and tips would help as far telling whether it is shoot-able. Do you know how the bow has been stored? Sometimes these old bows end up in the attic and have been subjected to high summer temps. I haven't been following vintage bear prices. I'd encourage you to hang on to it as it was given with respect. You know the stories that go with that bow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They aren't all that expensive so don't worry about that. What you have is a 1959 or 1960 Alaskan longbow. They shoot quite well and are pretty popular due to the striking colors of the glass. Nicknamed the Halloween bow because of the black and orange glass. I foolishly sold mine and it was destroyed in shipping. I used to try to shoot mine every Halloween just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a guess, but I'd say your father in law would rather see you take it to the woods than hang it on the wall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take it to the woods! As long as the bow isn't coming apart and you use a dacron string, you shouldn't have any problems. I have a couple of late 50's and early 60's Bear bows that get shot quite often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Bear bows I am interested in selling, need help pricing (I know nothing about bows) I have a Bear Tamer Lane with original leather bag and stabilizer with serial number on it and a Bear Tamujin with serial number any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
884 Posts
What year and parameters for the Tamerlane? It’s the HC-300 or HC-30? In good condition the HC-300 can get $300 - 400 with the right buyer. On the other hand I know a HC-300 left handed sitting for months. It’s all about offer meets demand and timing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One of the the best recurves I had was a 1960 Bear Grizzly, 44 pounds @ 28 inches. That was a great bow. Good hunting weight, 47 pounds at my draw length . It was a 60 inch bow, now the new grizzly bows are 58 inches. I say if its is safe to shoot, string it up with a dacron endless loop or flemish twist string and have at it. Due to the age, only use dacron string. Honor your father in laws memory and make your mother in law smile. Shoot it.

·
Super Moderator
2,736 Posts
Get a teen to photograph tyhem very well and write up a good ad for Ebay. Put in a starting price of maybe $200 and run an auction. They will very likely find fair value. I have bought and sold many bows that way with good results. Add maybe $40 shipping to the ad as they are oversize. But it may well cost more, which is OK as you do not want that cost to drive away buyers. Get a local business services company to pack and ship them for you.

Let us know about it; I might bid on the Temujin. Or shoot me a private message with pix. I sold one some years ago and still miss it. - lbg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts