Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the stringmakers out there.

Was supposed to get some 452x from a bloke but he has given me some 8125 Thin!

Did a search and it's not made any more (for a reason maybe). All I found out is that it says its 10% thinner.

The label reads; Smallest diameter.
Low creep.
100% SK75 Dyneema
16 to 18 strands recommended.

Any help regarding if this is alright and how many strands do I need to make a flemish twist string would be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have never used the 8125 thin, but the regular 8125 material is one of my favorites. I tend to get a little better speed and feel with 8125 over 452x. This is just a guess, but maybe BCY saw 8190 as a replacement for 8125 Thin (?).

·
Registered
56 Posts
D97 is sk75 dyneema also. So if that's the case, chances are it very close just thinner.
They changes string material all the time, so I wouldn't worry that it's not any good.
Depending on bow weight and what diameter string your looking for. If your not shooting a heavy bow 14 strands padded to 18 for longbow 20 for recurve would be a very good start.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, these string numbers and makes are really confusing.

I'm shooting a recurve (winex) @45#. Just so scared after reading some horror stories of different strings blowing up limbs.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
ZULU....The 452-X string material will likely have less "Give" than the 8125 string material...452-X is very stable, meaning that it doesn't stretch or creep much, I would be more concerned about my limbs with it than any of the straight Dyneema string materials...A Saying in the Compound bow world about 452-X is ''Set it, and forget it"...it was and is my personal favorite for wheelbows...You could call BCY, and see what they say, but I wouldn't worry one bit about using the 8125 Thin...I've used 8125 strings on all my recurves for a couple years now, and I like it very much...Take care...Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
If a limb blows up. Lot better chance its a limb not the string.
A string can cut thru the tips if it's not padded enough. The real thick material like Dacron 14 strands in the string loops. Material like UltraCam and D97. 16 strands
Bcy-x. D-75 thin. 8125. Pad 18-20

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what about the strand count on this string saying 16 to 18, or is that for wheel bows.

Just wrapped the string on my board and it just makes 16 strands ( 2x8 ). Got hold of this bloke and he says he has some more 8125 but the normal one, reckons I could just add a few strands of it into the "thin" and it should be alright. Maybe 2 into each bunch making a 20 strand.

Not sure about using two different diameters, even if they are the same brand and make.

·
Registered
56 Posts
16 strands should be fine and more then plenty strong. The breaking strength per strand is around 70#. So your string breaking strength will be over 1100#. Put 2 extra strands in your bundle to pad it a little more
I would not mix any material, the normal diameter material is going to stretch less and take more of the load then the thin IMO. I've heard of people mixing materials and I just don't see it being a good ideal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts