Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prior to this current project I managed to craaaaack 2 Holmagabett works in progress. So would really like to get this one completed!

Current project seems as simple as can get. Simple flat bow for 10-year-old. No glued-on riser. Dimensions are length=54" NtN; handle=3"l x 1.25"w x .875d; fades=2.0"l x 1.25"w x .6d @ begin of limb; limbs=22.5" fade-to-nock x 1.25 to .6w x .6 to .3d. Hickory self bow using board from local hardwood lumber place.

Bow is intended for granddaughter who's 10 years old. Draw of approx 20-22". Draw is a guess at this point, with guess being 15-17 lb.

Below are pics of bow simply sitting on tillering stick with string dangling approx 3" below belly side of handle . . . and . . . with string stretched to the 12-inch point, as measured from belly side of handle. Pull is 27 lb.

Question is . . . how to proceed from here. For example, what determines when should change to short string and then to bow string? When switching to bow string, should low brace height be employed and, if so, what determines when to go to full brace? There's likely additional questions as I proceed from this point but when you're a newbie there's lotsa unk-unks . . . unknown-unknowns

Hope a few of the more experienced have the time/patience for this most INexperienced one.

Keep safe,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok its looking nice so far, no major hinges limbs look pretty even in bend, take wood from both limbs from the handle to the tips, and draw some more. Also for the long string i would recommend a material that does not stretch too much, so u can have a clear idea on the tiller movement. Mine is made out of fast flight.

·
Registered
79 Posts

There are many places u can go from here, choosing the tiller type is an important part of the plan. I would recommend this type of tiller its the safest.
Remove wood evenly from the stave from both limbs, and draw it some more on the tiller stick.

Some close up pictures from the back of the bow would be helpfull also, to see how well you cleaned the growth ring. If the growth ring is cut or not properly cleaned the bow could break in tension. Hickory is good in tension and in compresion but u still need to do a good job on the growth ring....

Also its allways a good idea to draw the long string with a scale, and to never pull a bow more then the desire bow weight.

If you can pull the bow more on the tiller stick with out getting it to work past the desired weight, .... i could guide you a bit more. Not much to go on right one with just that picture.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
For a 10 year old I'd aim a little lower for draw weight.

Personally I like to get it bending just to roughly brace-height shape with the long string then go to the short string since the long string will make the ends appear stiffer then they actually are.

Definitely never pull past the finished weight. Looks like you are down to the point where you will just be using the scraper (my favorite tool).

-Grant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, you're correct re my wt obj being too high. Now looking @ 15-17, & that may need to be downgraded as more info is avail.
I'm down to sandpaper now.
Thanks, Grantmac!
Keep safe,
Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts