Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Doc
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am starting the process of researching and buying an ILF, BB rig to shoot indoor leagues and 3D competitions with. Please help me, with your suggestions, wade through the myriad of options out there to find a good bow! Thank you.

1) What is your BB setup? Please provide as much detail as possible, ie make and model of riser, limbs, rest, plunger, weight or stab and how much, string choice, arrow selection, point grains, draw #, etc.

2) What would you suggest I keep an eye out for on the trading blanket or buy new? I am looking for a BB riser/limbs combo that wouldn't break the bank but allow an archer to grow and keep developing.

3) If money was NOT a consideration what would you be going into competition with?

Additional info:
My draw length is average but fairly consistent at 28". I borrowed a Martin Aurora from a friend to shoot indoor leagues while my take down long bow riser is getting repaired. The Aurora with the current limbs (24" riser) has an AMO of 69" and 28# draw, a NAP Quicktune 3000 rest, with no additional weights or stabilizer. It took a little time to get accustomed to the light weight limbs but overall I am shooting my best form, scores and most importantly having fun!
I may be able to purchase this set up but I am unsure I want to commit to this bow. I was unable to find an owner's manual online or through Martin and the bow has been out of production since 2004 (I believe). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
If I can bulk up a bit this might be my new BB rig. Stolid Bull ILF with Borders Hex5 W 66" 32#. Adjustable springy rest. 12 strand D97 twist string. 6&3/4" brace height. 5/8" nock point.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I currently shoot a Spigarelli BB riser, SF Ultimate Pro medium 42# limbs, a 14 strand 8125 string, Beiter plunger, Spig ZT rest and B Stinger 12" stab. I have just ordered new limbs but will keep quiet on them until they arrive. If money was no object I would probably buy a Stolid Bull Black Thunder riser but apart from that, the BB is the best I've seen.
Keep an eye out for used Italian hardware. They make the best bare bows and have good resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Stolid Bull ILF with Borders Hex5 W 66" 32#. Adjustable springy rest. 12 strand D97 twist string. 6&3/4" brace height. 5/8" nock point.
Rusty,

How quiet is the bow with the 6.75" bh? What do you mean when you say your rest is 5/8"?

I am shooting a Best Zenit BB (25") with Border Hex 6Ws at 30.5# and a Spig rest. .
BH = 8.5". I think you should buy a Best Moon, Spig 650, Stolid Bull and a Green Horn. This will probably only cost you about $4000.00. Then after you have played with them you can let me play with them too! :)

Seriously, if you are where there are other bb shooters and you can try out their rigs, I would advise that before you purchase - it is so hard to judge limbs and risers without playing with them.

Alan

Reactions: ArrowCrazy

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Rusty,

How quiet is the bow with the 6.75" bh? What do you mean when you say your rest is 5/8"?

I am shooting a Best Zenit BB (25") with Border Hex 6Ws at 30.5# and a Spig rest. .
BH = 8.5". I think you should buy a Best Moon, Spig 650, Stolid Bull and a Green Horn. This will probably only cost you about $4000.00. Then after you have played with them you can let me play with them too! :)

Seriously, if you are where there are other bb shooters and you can try out their rigs, I would advise that before you purchase - it is so hard to judge limbs and risers without playing with them.

Alan
My nock point is 5/8". Limbs a very quiet. I have a Moon Best and Sprig 650, Zenit 23, Brenardilli Aladin and had a W&W Nxpert (on long term lone), 2 Hoyt Gold Medalist, Sprig with the 3 Al bars in 25" BB and 23".....ah I forget :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I current bb set up is spig bb riser with two internal weights. I will have 41# sf ultimate pro limbs. 9 1/8" bh and a springy rest. I might go back to the beiter plunger and zt rest, but right now this springy is working good. If money were no object, I would love to try the the greenhorn Sirius, but I am more than happy with what I have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have several different set ups for different things.

Indoors I am shooting a Spig VBS with cheapo SF Axiom+ limbs at 34#

I also have a Spig BB. I am setting it up for IBO RU (and probably FITA field) stringwalking with Uukha EX limbs at 40#.

After indoor season I am planning on setting the VBS up with SF Ultimate Pro limbs at 44# for NFAA Trad (NFAA/IFAA field and the Redding shoot).

I picked up both of the risers used either here or on ATs classifieds. I buy limbs new.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
1. My current 3D setup is a Spigarelli BB riser with 36# long SF Ultimate Pro limbs. It pulls 44# @ 32”. I shoot with a Spigarelli ZT rest, Beiter plunger, and Crick-It clicker. I use two internal weights and a 10 ¾” B-Stinger stabilizer with a 17-ounce weight. My arrows are full length Victory VAP V6s in 600 spine with 62-grain tips. They come in at 242 grains and leave the bow at 235 fps. For NFAA Barebow and IFAA Barebow Recurve I remove one internal weight and add a 30-something-inch Cartel Midas long rod stabilizer with 9 ounces out front and a set or 12” SF Axiom V bars. For FITA Barebow I strip off the stabilizer and clicker and use two internal weights and a pair of X-spot 12-ounce barebow weights.

2. Buying used is usually a great idea. If you end up not liking something, you can usually resell it and get all your money back. Like John said, the Italian barebow risers seem to sell quickly.

3. I wouldn’t change a thing about my setup except to buy another one to have as a spare.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've got a SKY TR7 setup for dots with a 12" stab and 13 oz of weights, 14oz weight in the bottom of riser,spig ZT rest and Beit plunger.

I've got a SKY TR7 setup totally bare for IBO and ASA 3-D

I'm waiting on a new SKY TR7 i plan on setting up with SPIGZT rest,Beiter Plunger and olypic length stab and back bars...I've even got a sight to play with if I decide to go to Lancaster next year and Vegas....

All of my limbs are the SKY double carbon bamboo limbs

If money was no object I'd try a Stolid Bull Vanquish and a Sirius...but to me they look grossly over bilt...

Dewayne

Reactions: ArrowCrazy

·
Registered
414 Posts
My IBO 3D barebow set-up is a Best Zenit BB 25" riser with 43# Border Hex 6H BB2 Long limbs at 30" of draw. I use all three of the small internal riser weights, and a 12" B-stinger stabilizer with 14 ounces of end weight. I use a Spigarelli ZT rest and Beiter plunger. My arrows are full length Carbon Express CXL Pro 150 shafts with 109 grains of point weight, Beiter insert nocks and IS3 Elivanes, with a final arrow weight of 326 grains.

My FITA Barebow set-up is a 25" Best Moon riser with 43# Border Hex 6H BB2 Long limbs at 30" of draw. I use both of the internal riser weights, an 8 weight in the forward stabilizer hole, and a custom 16 ounce weight in the lowest hole in the riser. If allowed by the sanctioning organization, I remove the lower 16 ounce weight, and add a 12" B-stinger stabilizer with a 17 ounce disk on the end and a 15 ounce backweight on the lowest belly side stabilizer hole. I use a Spigarelli ZT rest and Beiter plunger as well. I use 31" McKinney II 450 shafts with 90 grain TopHat points, Beiter Out Nocks and S3 Elivanes for finished arrows that weigh 309 grains.

Both set-ups use custom made 18 strand BCY 8125 strings with tied-on nock sets, and I shoot with a Bateman cordovan tab.

I would highly recommed Best Archery risers, especially if you can grab up a used one, as they do appear occasionally. I do not think it is wise to skimp on quality on any of your archery equipment, as you eventually upgrade as your skills improve anyway!

If money were no object, I would like to have three custom made and legal sized tungsten internal weights made for the Best Zenit riser to increase the down low riser weight, and I would have Carbon Express make me a run of old dimension full length Carbon Express CXL shafts in a .550 spine.

Mark

·
finger shooter
3,322 Posts
Lets see.... Best Zenit x 2, SF elite Plus 40# and ELite Plus 32# limbs, SF Ult Pro 40# all longs. Bernardini Luxor 27" riser, heavy weight set.... combo of 12" stabs for NFAA, X-Spot 12Oz's for FITA, and 30" with V-Bars when shooting BB against compounds.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I've got a SKY TR7 setup for dots with .....

I've got a SKY TR7 setup totally bare for ......

I'm waiting on a new SKY TR7.......with if I decide to go to Lancaster next year and Vegas....

All of my limbs are the SKY double carbon bamboo limbs

If money was no object .....

Dewayne
Seems to me that the SKY's the limit.......

;)

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts

This is a Best Moon with both integral weights inserted, A Spigarelli ZT rest and Spigarelli plunger. The grip is a Jager original. This is a barebow-specific riser.

Rusty might notice a similarity to this photo of his:

(Rusty's 23" Best Zenit.)

This is not a BB-specific riser. It is an Olympic type riser, the Hoyt Gold Medallist with two screw in weights. It makes a light and well-balanced bow.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Lets see.... Best Zenit x 2, SF elite Plus 40# and ELite Plus 32# limbs, SF Ult Pro 40# all longs. Bernardini Luxor 27" riser, heavy weight set.... combo of 12" stabs for NFAA, X-Spot 12Oz's for FITA, and 30" with V-Bars when shooting BB against compounds.
Ren

How much does the heavy weight set for the Luxor weigh??

Matt

·
Registered
172 Posts
For me Sky TR-7 with #44 medium MK Korea Mach 3 limbs, Shibuya Rest, Fivics plunger.

I will use this single set up all year for everything with three different size arrows. I found a good tune that will allow me to switch between IBO, FITA, FIELD, 3d, and Indoor with little adjustment. So far indoor is going well, next up IBO which should be the same exact set up, Then 3-d and Field season which will take a bit of adjustment for smaller diameter arrows..

If i had the money i would either buy another TR-7 or a WIn&WIn Inno CXT with another set of Mk Korea Limbs which i feel are the best on the market at this time.

I just bought Jess a new RIG for VDAY/early Birthday gift... 23" WIn&WIn Inno CXT, MK Korea #34 Mach 3 limbs, SPig rest, Fivics Plunger.... IT SUPER SWEET!!! Best shooting riser i've shoot so far

Oh WIth a JAGER grip of coarse!!!

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
For me Sky TR-7 with #44 medium MK Korea Mach 3 limbs, Shibuya Rest, Fivics plunger.

I will use this single set up all year for everything with three different size arrows. I found a good tune that will allow me to switch between IBO, FITA, FIELD, 3d, and Indoor with little adjustment. So far indoor is going well, next up IBO which should be the same exact set up, Then 3-d and Field season which will take a bit of adjustment for smaller diameter arrows..

If i had the money i would either buy another TR-7 or a WIn&WIn Inno CXT with another set of Mk Korea Limbs which i feel are the best on the market at this time.

I just bought Jess a new RIG for VDAY/early Birthday gift... 23" WIn&WIn Inno CXT, MK Korea #34 Mach 3 limbs, SPig rest, Fivics Plunger.... IT SUPER SWEET!!! Best shooting riser i've shoot so far

Oh WIth a JAGER grip of coarse!!!
I've heard good things about those limbs. Isn't it all the top guys from Samick that left and started the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Dang I looked it up at ALT - I am not paying 30 bucks for a 150 grain chunk of stainless.
I believe it's actually 150grams, still a rough price though.

-Grant

1 - 20 of 44 Posts