Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:
I've been having a bit of trouble with my Pelvic S.I. joint for a few days. Today the pain was enough for me to visit my Chiropractor (who just happens to be an archer). Anyway ... after a very painful S.I. manipulaton and a muscle massage ... things are sore but much improved. However Ian (my Chiro) told me .....no archery for two weeks ... thanks Ian .. you're a real pal.

· Barefaced tightropewalker
8,517 Posts
That must be a pain in the ...

Reactions: Phil

· Registered
995 Posts
Phil,

When you return try strengthening yourself by pulling the bow with the opposite hand. You are most likely developing too much muscle tone in one direction, from drawing the bow unilaterally on one side. By strengthening the other side you should help to equalize the muscle tone, and reduce the amount of pulling on just one side of the SI joint.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil,

When you return try strengthening yourself by pulling the bow with the opposite hand. You are most likely developing too much muscle tone in one direction, from drawing the bow unilaterally on one side. By strengthening the other side you should help to equalize the muscle tone, and reduce the amount of pulling on just one side of the SI joint.
It's funny you should say that UDS ... Ian told me the exact same thing. I'm going back to see him next week where he'll give me a re-intrductory program that includes some serious work on pelvic muscle tone symmetry. You know .. you dont realise the role core stability of the pelvic girdle plays in archery untill it become painful ... it's a real eye opener.

· Registered
465 Posts
Good luck Phil. Two weeks seems like a lot, but if it fixes the problem consider yourself lucky.

I've had SI joint problems for 20 years now, caused by my left leg being 1/4 inch shorter than my right.

When it goes out of whack, only a trip to the chiro can fix it. Luckily it only takes one minute to fix and usually lasts a couple of months till the next time I stumble, or lift something heavy when off balance.

Yes, it is a pain in the ... er ... SI joint. :)

· Registered
712 Posts
That sucks Phil; I know from experience. After being forced off for a month, I was fine for two but get twinges back. I had to miss an event yesterday but hopefully have caught it early enough that I won't take any more than a day or two off.

Get better!

Alan

· Registered
7,401 Posts
I feel your pain! Several years ago after heart surgery, getting back to shooting my bow was an obcession! Not being able to draw a 20lb bow at first just killed me, but in time gradually worked my way back to near my past draw weight....patience my friend, patience! All the best.

Tom

· Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your condition.I hav'nt shot a bow for about 2 yrs, till today, due to 3 operations, 1 neck vertabra, 1 mid back vertabra, and 1 knee operation. I feel pretty good now . My form was messed up a little, I couldn't get to full draw, but it's a start. I want to be in full form for this yrs bow season. Good luck.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd just like to say thanks to you all for your comments and good wishes ... I know in the whole scheme of things having a sore back side and not being able to shoot for a couple of weeks is pretty low on the scale of importance ... but thanks to you all ... it's very much appreciated

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got about 100 decent pine shafts in the garage ..I think I'll be makng a few sets of arrows and maybe a string or two.

· Premium Member
4,908 Posts
does that 2 week enforced layoff just happen to cover a match you would be competing with him in? just ask'n. LOL

· Civil but Disobedient
10,897 Posts
So Phil, awhile back I recall you telling us that you could not shoot anymore. That is when you started the History forum. Is this the same problem or a new one? I was happy to see you shooting again. I remember when Desert Archer had to quit due to a back issue. I bought a lot of his arrows. It was tough for him. Fortunately, he was able to go back to target shooting with firearms. I am not sure if it was rifles or pistols. It is tough to have something taken away from you before you are ready to walk away on your own, as if that would ever happen.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So Phil, awhile back I recall you telling us that you could not shoot anymore. That is when you started the History forum. Is this the same problem or a new one? I was happy to see you shooting again. I remember when Desert Archer had to quit due to a back issue. I bought a lot of his arrows. It was tough for him. Fortunately, he was able to go back to target shooting with firearms. I am not sure if it was rifles or pistols. It is tough to have something taken away from you before you are ready to walk away on your own, as if that would ever happen.
No that was my shoulder Hank... that was repaired by an orthopaedic collegue (Prof Rowley) and he did a fantastc job. I genuinely thought my archery days were over, but the surgery he performed worked a treat. I was back shooting within 3 months.

· Registered
987 Posts
Phil - best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

My wife and I take a Pilates class on Saturdays. Our instructor noticed that I was unusually asymmetrical as to strength and flexibility and asked me "what's up with that?" (Quaint Americanism from our instructor was a broadcast journalist [news reader I think you call them] before she trained to be a Pilates instructor.) She suggested that I shoot on the opposite side. Fortunately my wife is left-handed so I get to use her bow. It helps but takes a lot of discipline. Someone told me to pull and hold my bow 3 times on the left for every shot on the right. That wears you out in a hurry.

Ask your DC if he can recommend a cranial sacral therapist. It is a specialized form of massage that is associated with osteopathy. The American DOs abandoned it decades ago to appease the AMA. It is starting to make a come-back here. We have an osteopathic medical school nearby and 2 of the professors are teaching it. My wife goes to the student clinic for treatments. Very effective and very gentle. I think that you have cranial sacral therapists in England. Try this site: http://www.craniosacral.co.uk/

Nothing like giving medical advice, mixed with a political rant, on an archery forum.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.