Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wasn’t going to post another thread about any bows, but then I realized after many of you have sent allot of messages and phone calls that you want to hear my thoughts on the two super curve ILF bows.

I personally like the tempest riser better then the backwoods riser as far as feel and looks however the backwoods riser is quieter and I could shoot off the machines radiused shelf. I do not like that I have to add a rest and a plunger on the tempest. I love the balance of both, however I believe the feel of the tempest riser is better but I honestly believe the balance and actual shooting feel of the backwoods riser is better. I am purely a hunter and I do not want to shoot off of rubber rests, springy rests, etc. with the backwoods riser it comes with everything you need to hunt and be successful. I prefer my CD archery wf-19 riser over them all personally. The machining and finish goes to the tempest riser. Remember all these risers are 19”

Now on to the limbs this is where the backwoods to me is the clear winner in every category. The backwoods are way way quieter with nothing extra added, actually Cody Greenwood with the trad lab tested them with a decibel meter and the backwoods composites MOAC limbs are only 2 decibels louder then the quietest long bow he has tested and I believe this was with no string puffs. So by far the backwoods is way quieter. The backwoods are way way way smoother, I mean night and day difference then the cv9-h. The Backwoods composites limbs are wider, smoother, and quieter. The Border CV9-h limbs are faster, I noticed by being an instinctive shooter I would guess 5-8 FPS faster at same draw weight with same arrow this is a guess as I did not get to shoot through an actual chronograph. However I want smooth, quiet, and shock free. This is where things really change dramatically the cv9-h limbs have the after shock vibration in the limbs curling back around. The backwoods do not have this, they are just thump and done like shooting a long bow with a 1000 grain wood arrow at 190 FPS with 25 pound draw that’s how I can explain the backwoods composite limbs the best.

So you cannot go wrong with either one of them, Backwoods And Border’s customer service have been exceptional to me. I do not think you can go wrong with either company and I would buy products from either company.

If you want raw horsepower and not worried about vibration, noise, or a stiffer draw go with cv9-h

If you want a fast bow that’s way faster then your conventional limb, that’s smooth, quiet, and doesn’t have the vibration go with the Backwoods.

If you want a good looking riser, with amazing finish, great balance, and that is a little noisy and want to install a rest, etc. go with the tempest.

If you want a riser that’s ugly, quiet, balanced amazing, and feels good go with the Backwoods.

Or if you want the best riser on the market go with a CD Archery. 😂

Now this is MY OPINION I am sharing publicly! This is related to MY EXPERIENCE! So don’t get on here fussing and arguing, go buy them and shoot them. I like Sid and Sam and both are great guys and I am thankful for what they are doing. Remember Backwoods Composites isn’t a copy of Border Archery there is nothing comparable in the 2 limbs other then they both have huge hooks. Totally different processes, materials, width, etc.

Have a good day! Shoot Straight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever try Morrison Max 6?

His risers ain’t too shabby either..
I have not sir, it’s gonna be hard to beat the draw cycle, feel, and quietness of the Backwoods. They are smoother them Uukha sx+ and altai limbs. They are impressive.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took me a second to find it not knowing, but you're a dangerous man.

Just inquired about a set that might be nice for target on a WF25 and low power hunting on a WF19. Your review has me skeptically curious.

Engineered Recurve and Longbows | Backwoods Composites | United States for anyone looking for a clickable.
I am telling you man they are bad to the bone. I pay full price for everything. Or my good friend does and let’s me try it, we are not endorsed or sponsored by anyone. Again remember all of this information is only from my personal experience.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you been string walking/shooting them out of tune? How do they respond?
There is some really killer shooter shooting the backwoods composites I don’t keep up with him he’s out west. I don’t keep up with competition shooting I am purely a hunter.

·
Super Moderator
725 Posts
Just curious, are you a ghost buyer for Tradlabs? In other words, are you buying on his behalf so vendors don’t know they’re dealing to him?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Dusty, If the "backwoods are a clear winner in every catagory", how could they loose in speed? That's the catagory/reason most people go to a SR. I know it's impossible to judge, but 5 to 8 feet is substantial. If that was true and we know it's not, then Max 6's are faster. A buddy and I tested Max 6's and Hex 7.5 with a pound advantage going to the 6's and the 7.5's were ave 3 FPS faster. Not scientific, because although the same arrow it was not tested to be tuned. It was the dead of winter on a -30 day.

If I'm not mistaken the CV9's were constructed to feel more like a conventional recurve and still have the speed of a SR. So they wouldn't feel as smooth. Hex 8's are supposed to have actual let off. I'll check with Sid.

That said, I'm still very intrigued by the Backwoods Composites.

Bowmania

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Seems like the Backwoods is trying to copy Border.
Seems like honestly you have no clue what your talking about sir. Buy both and you will see there is no comparison or copy at all sir, they are almost twice wider then border, 10x quieter, 10x smoother, totally different materials. Buy both and try them before you make such an ignorant claim sir.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dusty, If the "backwoods are a clear winner in every catagory", how could they loose in speed? That's the catagory/reason most people go to a SR. I know it's impossible to judge, but 5 to 8 feet is substantial. If that was true and we know it's not, then Max 6's are faster. A buddy and I tested Max 6's and Hex 7.5 with a pound advantage going to the 6's and the 7.5's were ave 3 FPS faster. Not scientific, because although the same arrow it was not tested to be tuned. It was the dead of winter on a -30 day.

If I'm not mistaken the CV9's were constructed to feel more like a conventional recurve and still have the speed of a SR. So they wouldn't feel as smooth. Hex 8's are supposed to have actual let off. I'll check with Sid.

That said, I'm still very intrigued by the Backwoods Composites.

Bowmania
I cannot say they are let’s wait till the trad lab releases his speed reports. I hear they are as fast as the borders in his test from hear say. I don’t know my self, I guess they are so quiet and smooth that maybe they seem slower. I DONT KNOW ACTUAL SPEEDS please make sure to read this. If you are concerned about speed get you a rifle or a compound! I do agree though for someone like you and others looking for more energy at lesser weight, I understand what your saying. We need to get some shot through the chrono and see.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here is What Cody Shared with me from the trad lab on his testing with the backwoods wood core limbs which is the gen1 limbs as the new limbs will have the synthetic core and should be even faster. Cody got 191 FPS out of backwoods at 10 gpp. I believe he was gonna post all the information however since the new limbs will not be the same as the new synthetic core limbs he is holding off to wait and see I believe. I personally Trust the Trad Labs findings. I believe Cody does an excellent job of exposing the truth.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I like more data than speed and arrow weight. Bow weight and draw length can make data look one way when it's not. From my testing if you have two bows shooting 10 gpp, one at 65 pounds and the other at 35, 65 is going to win the speed battle. Draw length is not as important when it comes to comparing SR's because if you look at the draw force curve, the weight gain from 27 to 28 is going to 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound. (At least on Borders and Bent says BC is smoother.) Even so if one has a longer power stroke, it makes for a faulty comparison.

I have some graphs from Sid that I couldn't find, but I did find a CH Set UP guide. In it, it has a graph showing a Hex 7.5 shooting 10 gpp at 197.9. Hex 8's are supposed to be faster and CV's fast yet. Looks like the graph was at 28 inches, but I couldn't find any weight. I'm pretty sure that was shot with a machine at Border, so try to adjust that to your particular fingers????? I know BC has a video of shooting through a chrono with a machine, but I don't remember the results. If I was only Sheldon Cooper some of my posts might make sense!!!!

In this case, I'd have to agree with Wstrayer. Every SR copies Border.

Bowmania

·
Registered
90 Posts
I to am intrigued with backwoods.
Being a fan of border and Morrison it’s hard for me to imagine anything smoother or quieter.
In fact I find border to be the best for my needs.
More actual testing by others would be great.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
From the web site.

40 pound bow
651 grain arrow, 16.2 gpp, 153 fps
360 grain arrow, 9 gpp, 192 fps

Those numbers appear to be closer to Timberghost numbers than Border or Morrison newest offerings. I'm going from a graph on TG's site.

Sorry, I can't post my 7.5 and 8 numbers as it would be from memory. I've had shoulder surgery and can't shoot for another month or two. I talked to Savage 1 yesterday and we kind of concur on the numbers, but can't remember who's arrow we were shooting.

Bowmania

1 - 20 of 65 Posts