Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with Backwoods Composites? There are a couple of reviews of their MOAC limbs from a few years ago, and what looks like a botched attempt at guerrilla marketing, and then ... crickets.

Is anyone using their limbs or bows?

· Registered
406 Posts
Sam is a fine fellow. I have a set of MOAC 1.0, another of 2.0 hopefully arriving any day. The MOAC 1.0 I shot only enough to like and want a lighter set.. which is on order. I actually loaned out the MOAC 1.0 to a fellow in this group who has been shooting, he seems to like them so far as well.

What is up with Sam, my PoV, perhaps he will comment: Moving from building a few limbs as a hobby/passion to building many for a business is not easy.. and sometimes stalls for a while. I doubt he wants to build up an order book he will struggle to fulfill... I wouldn't.

I am sure I will get my limbs, just waiting now, on a bit over a year. Good thing I have no shortage of other choices-Uukha, Border CV and CH, Wing, Bear, Black Widow, etc.

The MOAC 1.0 felt great, but were a bit heavier build than the Border Hex9 I have, and I think a bit slower due to being more massive. Sam's website makes clear that MOAC 2.0 is lighter. I expect to get some great feeling barnburners.

I may buy some Morrison someday as well. I think I would like to have an USA Super Recurve source, and want in ILF. I figured to try the new guy first. I am crazy sometimes.

· Registered
13 Posts
I tried to email him with no response. A fellow trad guy, who should have his limbs by now, said to use facebook. With my wife's help, I did. I received a response rather quickly, and he responded as to my limb time , and it is still as he stated when I ordered. I wish they would come sooner, but I hope he takes his time. I am intense about quality. Every item I have purchased that was hurried has often failed. Especially machinery parts.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been keeping an eye on Backwoods Composites. I think their limbs are very intriguing. Cody Greenwood found their MOAC limbs to be as quiet as longbow limbs (about 10 db quieter than the next quietest ILF recurve limbs tested) and as fast as high-end Uukhas.

I noticed some updates to their website the other day, including a price drop for their ILF limbs, and the addition of a "conventional" limb to their lineup (CAC 2.0) They now have three ILF limb profiles, a super-curve MOAC 2.0, a moderately curved TAC 2.0 (comparable to Uukha S-Curve) and now the CAC 2.0.

Their pdf Bow Guide is an interesting and informative read.

· Registered
2,749 Posts
Since my Aug. post, I've had a chance to test a pair of BC's. THe older model maybe called MOAC 1??? I'm impressed. Would have ordered after the testing, but the wait is longer than my liking.

Because the limbs were longs and I shoot mediums, I don't have exact stats that can be compared.

Bowmania

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Todd, I can test a set of limbs and arrow on my Triple DDD 23-25" riser, for you. Just give me the pad angle and draw length. I will provide a drawforce curve and all that. It's setup for ilf.
DDD

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Bowmania.

One of the interesting thing about the pdf Bow Guide I linked to are the charts they have for recommended limb lengths. Cross-referencing draw length and riser length, you get a recommended limb length, and there are six lengths available. Very similar to Border in this respect; BC also make these recommendations for their conventional limb. Conventional wisdom is that we can mix and match riser lengths and limb lengths with something like impunity. The BC bowyer seems to have other thoughts.

· Registered
963 Posts
Since my Aug. post, I've had a chance to test a pair of BC's. THe older model maybe called MOAC 1??? I'm impressed. Would have ordered after the testing, but the wait is longer than my liking.

Because the limbs were longs and I shoot mediums, I don't have exact stats that can be compared.

Bowmania
Talked to the owner awhile back. Super nice guy that Id love to do business with someday. Only reason Ive not ordered is that wait time. Part of the allure to ilf stuff is being able to grab stuff at will.
Im about in the market for a high end long limb again for my new riser. Just cant see waiting for forever being Ill probably be on to some other set up by the time they arrive

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have a +/- 4 pound tolerance on their limbs, too. Price + long build time + imprecise draw weight = well...a tough buy, for this guy anyway.

I really liked the look of their 64" one piece bow. But it is no longer on their site. I would have waited for that.

On the Backwoods Composites Facebook they recently posted this photo of a Wengard/Backwoods Composites one-piece prototype:

Electricity Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable Gas

I am a sucker for those Fibonacci hooks.

· Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A recent podcast on YouTube with Sam, here.

At the 8 minute mark he shows off his prototype 27" carbon polymer riser.

At 44:30 he shows his new CAC target limbs and compares them to his MOAC super hook limbs. The CAC still have very big curves, just not as hooked.

Very innovative guy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts