Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have talked about average poundage. Wonder what differences we would see if we split the field between "instinctive" and ... I'll call it "olympic style"?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
You mean people that snap shoot vs hold at anchor??

I shoot all weights the same and I have bows up to 70 lbs - I can't shoot a 70 lb bow for as many shots as a 45lb bow - but each of those shots is aimed just the same as my 45 lb bows.

If your bow weight is dictating how you shoot you are over bowed and learning bad habits.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
You mean people that snap shoot vs hold at anchor??

I shoot all weights the same and I have bows up to 70 lbs - I can't shoot a 70 lb bow for as many shots as a 45lb bow - but each of those shots is aimed just the same as my 45 lb bows.

If your bow weight is dictating how you shoot you are over bowed and learning bad habits.
Perfect answer Matt, that is how it is for most. Like you I can shoot 65 to 75# bows using my normal form but can I hold that form for 40 targets, I doubt it very much. I work on the theory that you should have a bow you can shoot EXACTLY the same for the longest round you play, in what ever conditions are thrown at you + about 30% more, that way you never finish drained.
If you are only a hunter that might only mean being able to shoot 2 arrows and as long as you can draw your bow after sitting frozen in a stand for hours without gyrating like Disco Stu, your poundage is fine.
Some clown here in Ontario wants to bring in a minimum poundage for trad class bows to get rid of guys shooting lighter target type bows in the class, I am going to fight that one all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My hunting bows pull 56# and I shoot them with a clicker. If a person is struggling to control their draw weight long enough to aim, they are overbowed.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Not always overbowed, sometimes just suffering from other problems. Target panic will cause you to let an arrow go before you have aimed with even a 40# bow.

I started with a 50# bow, went to a 60#+ bow and finally got smart and went down to a 55# bow. For what it's worth my current bows are 45#, 50#, 53#, 54#, 55# and 56# at my drawlength. But I have never hunted with a bow under 54#. Maybe next season.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
20-60# the shot is the same, I just take less of them with the heavy bows.

I absolutely WILL NOT shoot a weight that dictates a change in my technique.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In NZ FITA mid 30s to mid 40's seem to be the main weights shot.
This shows if your trying to buy limbs,and those weights are always sold out.
The other interesting thing is the shops that cater to the FITA crowd,don't seem to be able to get it through their heads that there are risers other than 25".
Makes it very hard to talk to them because they all think they know more than the next man, and particularly know more than "you" if your not talking 25" Hoyt.
I had one guy telling me my father inlaw shooting 55lbs in FITA was obviously overbowed.
The fact the guy is built like a Brahman bull and was twice national champion went right over his head.
No wonder I prefer to buy from the USA.

John.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
most olympic arcers we sold limbs or bows to were ordering in the 40-48 pound range. only slightly less than the average recurve or longbow order.
when compound archers switched to trad back in the early days most orders were in the 60-70 pound range. but that wore off quickly.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Larry - when you were setting up limbs and risers for your sponsored archers (Vic Wunderle was one I think) did they get something other than stock or did you just pick through the stock stuff and high grade it??

Matt

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Some clown here in Ontario wants to bring in a minimum poundage for trad class bows to get rid of guys shooting lighter target type bows in the class, I am going to fight that one all the way.
Ageism is one rebuttal. The young and the old versus those in-between.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
matt, i did bows for vic when he was a teen and winning all over the world. what i did was take a compound riser and design a limb for it and send it to him.we painted most red, white, and blue. i think the last one was when he was a college freshman. he said once that every one i sent was just a little bit better but he was shooting cobbled together stuff and winning. he was/is a great person and archer. kind of shows how much the archer is the determining factor in how his bow shoots!
ed eliason ordered some olympic style bows from us when we made them. we would just make whatever weight limbs he wanted. nothing different than any other order. that went for all the shooters i dealt with.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
matt, i did bows for vic when he was a teen and winning all over the world. what i did was take a compound riser and design a limb for it and send it to him.we painted most red, white, and blue. i think the last one was when he was a college freshman. he said once that every one i sent was just a little bit better but he was shooting cobbled together stuff and winning. he was/is a great person and archer. kind of shows how much the archer is the determining factor in how his bow shoots!
ed eliason ordered some olympic style bows from us when we made them. we would just make whatever weight limbs he wanted. nothing different than any other order. that went for all the shooters i dealt with.
Great stuff - thanks

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts