Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonderin if any of you guys have used zip tie's to attatch whiskers to your strings and how it worked.I haven't used whiskers the last several yrs but have gone back to them because I don,t care for the spray I get with the first shot when my puffs get wet not to mention the cling-on's that get in them.I've tried tieing them on in a knot and wrapping them around the string and useing serving to secure them and they still wanna move around after a bit.Putting them in the middle of the string works okay but after a few hundred shots they seem to start breakin any thoughts appreciated....Thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I don't use the ties - too much weight and they abraid the string - but I do use old rubber bands. Separate the string at your desired point and insert a single rubber band strand. Made two slits in the whiskers at vertical center and about 1 in. apart. Put the ends of the rubber bandthru the slits, wrap whiskers around the string, double wrap the rubber band, tie a granny, pull it tight and trim the ends of the whiskers and the band. Works for me! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
silencer installation and brace height

Swampy,
I may not practice as much as you do but I learned that when you install a new string of a different material the silencers tend to move. A moving silencer (I take string leech only) will get killed soon.

My idea would be to take the position of and old silencer, copy it for the new system and follow-up. This system needs a little time but is worth it!

Happy silencing!

Torsten

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Torsten,I,m a bit confussed about what your saying :sbrug:

I've been useing a MM string and before that I used puffs inserted into the string.Both work well however I want to use the whiskers for the reasons I mentioned above.

Oz,That may just work thanks.

As for my thoughts on a zip tie,I'm talkin about the little ones and it would get trimmed.Yea I thought about the extra wieght but I could compensate for that by trimming the whiskers shorter....it was just a thought I was wonderin if anybody else had tried.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Double them, insert them between the string or double around the outsides of the string. Tie in place with dental floss and then snip. That's what I used for years.

G

·
I've had zip ties blow right off my string. Now I use kevlar fly tying thread, whip finish, and use a drop of superglue.

I can't wait to try those String Shoks that Hoyt has on their bows because I prefer silencers that go over the string rather then through it...been using bow jacks and cross bow string leeches, but the bow jacks are a little heavy.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PB,the chunks I have are 6" X 1 1/4" .The distructions said to tie them around the string in a regular knot however they slid down after awhile.I put them thru folding the 1 1/4" in half twice(4 layers) which worked fine for holdin them in place but the string seem to cut the rubber strands after a couple hundred shots basically getting lighter and lighter throwin off my flight after I lost enuff wieght.After that I cut them in half and wrapped 2 3" pcs around the string at each end and used braided serving and super glue.That was okay cept 1 of the bundles ended up rotateing to 1 side of the string instead of all the way around causeing it to loosen and move.....getting frustrated LOL even thru the MM string back on which by the way if your tuned with brush buttons ya better keep them on LOL it effected impact alot

Anyway do you fold them the 6" way or the 1 1/4" way or both. So far I'm likeing the rubber band idea best for my application......maybe this is why I stopped usein whiskers a long time ago and went to puffs LOL

I also have some beaver fur strips which I could try...at least they look cool LOL and I'd be "trad" that way HAHAHAHAHAA

Thanks again TomM

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm with you, Atlantis. I don't like to put things - particularly bulky rubber things - thru my strings. Makes them spongy and stretchy. Here, I use the light rubber bands, one time thru to minimize the sponginess.

G

·
OZ,

That's why I don't like to shoot dacron, just don't like any string sponginess, even if it's mainly psychological...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just stick them through the string.I like the puffs best because I can make them. :)

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Garry,that's kinda what I did cept I tried to wrap it around by rolling it from 1 edge to the other...that way looked better Thanx

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used to do them that way with just an overhand knot, never had a problem with them slipping. But lately I've been just shooting without anything on the string at all. I have about half convinced myself that I can hunt with them that way. Just use a limbsaver and super thin limb pads.

I'll have to check it out a again. Shoot it without and then add them to see if I'm just faking myself out, which is very possible.

Lane

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lane,when ya add wieght to the string it slows it down effecting the tune and also the impact.I know when I swapped strings and didn,t put my brush buttons on I hit high rt by enuff to cause big problems on a deer.Maybe brush buttons are just t hat heavy and their located out at the ends but it was app.10" off and yea I shot a couple to make sure I didn,t just pull it LOL

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used the super small sized zip ties with no ill effects. They are not as nice to look at but very simple to install and once installed they are easy to slide up and down the string for tuning.

I weighed some once and determined that the amount of zip tie after trimming and the amount of spider legs (I usually use half) was lighter than a string leech. Which if I remember correctly weigh 35 grains a piece not counting any serving material to hold them in place.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 more thing I kinda cut my arrows alittle short LOL by mistake and don't mind adding a little wieght to the string to slow it up.Yea I know you guys may think it's silly to intentionally rob performance but I do what I gotta do to make it fly right.

I can shoot without silencers by decreasing my point wieght too I guess I'm just messin around with things now while I've got several months before deer season.....well maybe not LOL turkey opens in May....anyway I'm to the point where I can make changes and see a differance right away,somethin I never could do before I put in some real effort at improveing so it's not likely to screw me in the end anyway.

Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Garry, that was the first method I used, and I found that unless you run the tie-off mat'l - whether serving or floss - thru the string you get slippage. I also found that eventually they'll come apart unless you re-apply superglu every so often. Don't like glue build-up on my string because of weight.

Lizard, I had the same problem with the tiny ties. The whiskers slipped unless I put the tie thru the string, and the ties wear sharp and internally abraid the string fibers. I just couldn't make it work. :sbrug:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Lots of compounders use "speed balls" on their strings, some of which also combine a silencer and claim a speed gain. I'm wondering why they wouldn't also work on a stickbow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
OZ-
I have had no problem using zip ties. I just pull them really tight and trim off the excess. I have tied them on with serving also, either way it seemed to work. Sometimes you notice them slipping down the string after lots of shots but it isn't that big a deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts