Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working in a research environment is always a precarious career choice. So it came as no surprise when just after the Christmas break, myself and other members of my team were informed that our research budgets had been cut and our services were no longer required in order for funds to be reallocated for the commercial exploitation of the results of our work. I have no problem with that. Funds are always limited, Research in medical fields is very expencive and at some point the financial investors need to see a commercial return on their R and D investment.
So .. on the 24th of January 2014, my birthday, I parted company with my employer on very friendly and amicable terms and found myself unemployed for the first time in 35 years.
Being unemployed, as anyone who has experienced it will tell you, is a stressful and frightening position to be in. Suddenly, you have no income but still have to pay your bills, your savings start to reduce and (as in my case) you begin to wonder if at the tender age of 57 there's anyone out there who wants to employ you.
Well ... to cut a long story short ... after sending my CV to several companies, I've had 4 interviews and 4 job offers and I take up my new position on the 3rd of March, leading a team investigating the mechanics and neurology of tissue break down in people with type 2 Diabetes to prevent lower limb amputation.

So for any of you out there that find yourself in a similar position ... don't give up ... be proactive .... stay positive ..... as one door closes another door opens.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Congratulations on the new job and new peace of mind!

I quit my job managing a professional photographic lab in Detroit back in 1995 when the digital age began taking off and I could see the end in sight. Wedding photographers and portrait photographers suddenly could process/Photoshop and print their own work. We moved to our vacation property in a low population/tourist part of the state and I now work at a golf country club 6 months a year. My wife manages a super market in town. Gotta love those open doors!

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Good job outta you guys.
1993 - after 20 years in my computer job - our company decided to move our HQ to Des Moines. This would move my job 68 miles away.
I was faced with all the questions, retool my education, change jobs where I was, or go with the new HQ position, change housing or commute.....
Kept our acreage and began commuting to the HQ job....stayed in computers....it turned into a "tech support" position and was a good move for me, professionally, and I did the commute until Jan. 2013, when I began working back at the old digs, close to home, and I was able to retire late Nov. 2013.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
what interesting and vital research your new position is!! knowing people that have had feet and lower legs removed from diabetes i know how much that disease affects too many in the world. congratulations, and thank you!
after 52 years designing and building bows i was suddenly at loose ends a couple of years ago. had a new job confirmed while driving back home from walla walla. am now doing hydrology research part time, helping my khmer daughter in the kitchen of her restaurant part time and ranching full time.
unlike other people i hope to never have to "retire"! i know at some point illness and death will do that for me, but until then----

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words gents I'm really looking forward to "getting stuck in".
While being made redundant is a pretty devastating position to be in, in hindsight, it was just the kick in the pants my wife and I needed.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad it worked out Phil. I found myself in that situation this time last year, it's not pleasant is it.
Not pleasant at all Jon ... I'm consider myself lucky. I've always worked in an environment that's very very well paid. For those not so lucky it's devastating on both the individuals and their families

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Congrats Phil and Happy Birthday, I do know how you felt but was not as fortunate. :cheers:

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Congratulations on the new job and new peace of mind!

I quit my job managing a professional photographic lab in Detroit back in 1995 when the digital age began taking off and I could see the end in sight. Wedding photographers and portrait photographers suddenly could process/Photoshop and print their own work. We moved to our vacation property in a low population/tourist part of the state and I now work at a golf country club 6 months a year. My wife manages a super market in town. Gotta love those open doors!
Uh, what about this?

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471136&postcount=69

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Phil, I've seen too many people lose limbs to complications of diabetes, so I understand the importance of your work. Good luck to you and your team.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Congratulations on your new position, it must be very fulfilling knowing you can make such a difference in the lives of so many people! I know full well how scary lapses in employment can be...I'm in that age group as well. Seems ironic that just when an employee is at the age where their tool belts are the most complete they struggle to find employment...I've been wondering when the "60 is the new 40" rule everyone has been talking about was going to take effect! I ended up creating my own job, and while self-employment has it's peaks and valleys, looking back I wish I'd done it years sooner.

Good luck to you Phil!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts