Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 610 Navs shoot perfect with 43# Conventional limbs but show far too weak with the Hex6's I've reduced point weight down to 80g and wound the limbs to min and only option left really is cutting the 28.5" arrows shorter or new arrows, I'm not happy about messing with the plunger setting, I don't know how far off center before it becomes detrimental to the tune i.e I would rather not play too much with plunger/string alignment to tune my arrows.

I able to get the 500 Lightspeeds to shoot well with 100g points but limbs are wound in to 45-46# which is ok but for 3D but for Field I would feel more comfortable with holding around 42-43# off the fingers.

I was thinking of trying some 29" 550 Carbon 1's with 120g points as it's a well priced arrow to test out (and use for 3D), if it's tunes well then I will likely invest in some ACG's or ACC's for Field.

Opinions, is my logic in selecting 550's sound?

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,718 Posts
Hi Steve,
I had my arrows hitting the riser for months. I did not know what to do so, as a mad option, I use ridiculous stiff arrows and they fly almost straight.
I have been shooting 32” 525 PSE arrows with 70gr glue in point.
My set up is: Spigarelly Explorer and Hex6 BB2 35#@31”
Tried some GoldTip Ultraligh 31,6” 125 gr point and they fly straight with BS hitting 4” to the left.
It looks like they need really stiff arrows.
One point: Set the arrow in line with the string and move it no more than “a point” to each side.
IMHO, this limbs do not work right if you tune them the usual way.
Martin

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
One point: Set the arrow in line with the string and move it no more than "a point" to each side.
IMHO, this limbs do not work right if you tune them the usual way.
Martin
When I'd my Hex tuned it was the same. I tuned to get the bareshaft right. I set up centreshot at true centreshot and tuned. I had to move in the plunger a little to get everything right. I did so without rechecking CS, when I did it was the mirror image of a normal set up. My head didn't like it but it worked.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've asked for help several times here because even my Hex 5 limbs have the same problem. More than a stiffer spine, going with a heavier arrow with a more substantial FOC has helped (Grant said anything under 11 has a problem for him with Hex limbs).

Here's a thread Matt Potter started on this subject (same DW as your limbs) that shows others have had the same issues.

In it he says:

First let me say I am addicted to these limbs - love the feel - my set are longs on a luxor 43 on the fingers with a 32 inch draw.

When I first go them I just set them up with a 500 spine maxima blue and bare shafted them they tuned and shot fine.

After reading a bunch on here I decided to see how a 400 spine arrow would shoot - even better really liking them now heavier arrow slowed them down some and made for great crawls.

However I noticed I am getting contact on the riser. So I figured if I bumped my tip weight a bit I would solve this - not so much it made it worse.

I was able to solve the problem by going closer to center with a stiffer plunger. This is the part that made me scratch my head.

Its almost like the limbs drive the arrow straight forward with no paradox and if you are set to far out side of center the nock end of your arrow gets contact.

This isn't the behavior I would have expected from other limbs I have shot.

These limbs seem much more sensitive to center shot than other limbs its almost like they resist archers paradox and need to be treated like compound bow limbs.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
600 spine VAP with 110gr Top Hat point. Get the V6 shafts and cut from both ends. I'm betting you end-up around a 28" shaft.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
but Grant, he's using 28.5" 610s with 80 up front, and thinks it's weak.
Your proposed 600s with 110 up front will not be a ton stiffer, if any, right?
Potentially your proposal will be same as his, or even a tad weaker yet?
Unless of course you are saying the VAP's are known stiffer-for-spine than his NAVs? Which is entirely possible and I will plead ignorant, here.
I'm not arguing, I'm trying to learn the reasoning involved with some of this....
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Steve,

In my experience the VAPs are substantially stiffer then most other arrows in their spine. I've got some GT 600UL cut to 27.5" and VAP600 cut to 29", the VAPs tune stiffer. Plus with the 110gr points he will have a lot of point shank in the arrow which will stiffen them a little too.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
Thanks Grant.
I only have Victory experience with the 2-3 year old NanoForce 600s, and they could also be a bit strong, like you say.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
The Nano Force is pretty much the same shaft but I think they changed the components a little. Not that it matters because the Top Hat points are waaaaaay nicer anyways.

-Grant

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I have found the same with VAP V6 shafts, damm good shafts tho' ;)

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
What would cause the dynamic spine to differ between two arrows if the static spine is the same? Assuming length and point weight is constant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts