Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of arrows are preferred for string walking in the IBO RU class? Do most top shooters use ACE or McKinney type shafts like in FITA field, or do the shorter ranges make line cutting shafts a bigger advantage?

I am a long time Olympic style shooter, but have decided to give barebow a try this year and have been shooting without a sight in league since January – I love it!

I’d like to set up a bow for 3d soon. Thanks for any input you might have!

--and if it helps in making a recommendation; I'm shooting a 42# @ 29"

Dan Z

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Seems to be a mix of skinny and fat. I use VAP currently as do many of the guys but an equal amount use fat shafts. The choice is extra speed or a few line cutters. I'm not sure what I will shoot this season, I will wait for my new limbs to get here then see what tunes.
At 42# you could tune .600, .500 or .400 depending on length and point weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
I too am curious about this. I'm new to walking the string. To start off with I just took some leftover 500 spine lightspeed 3Ds and cut them down a bit. The shorter shafts were stiffer so to tune them I have 125g points on them. I think they're fine for IBO RU type ranges but I am worried about FITA field.

Would I be better off getting something lighter like 650 spine cheetahs and putting 50g points on them. They'd clearly be MUCH faster.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I shoot 42# with .600 VAP. The ones I'm using are 28" (my draw is 27") and I have 110gr TopHats in them. That is too much weight but I'm leaving them alone until new limbs go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Dan

It's a pretty even mix. Last day of trad worlds in Cloverdale you had Vaps - ACE - Fat boys and CX blue streak being shot

Vaps won
blue streak second
Fat boy third

Last year Jared won shooting fat boys.

Year before Scott won shooting ACE.

Hummm - looks like I should shoot fat boys it's their turn.

Matt

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
If you reverse tune the distance things work well. Tune arrow by length and point weight for Point three under 35 yards. Now find your 10 yard crawl. See how the tune is at 10 yards. again at 15 yards, 20 yards, 25 yards, 30 yards.

Close shots you may find you want to use a crawl and gap with the point

I use skinny quick. I like to use three crawls since don't judge distance well. A "close", "medium", and "hard" crawl. Then gap the point by feel :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Dan

It's a pretty even mix. Last day of trad worlds in Cloverdale you had Vaps - ACE - Fat boys and CX blue streak being shot

Vaps won
blue streak second
Fat boy third

Last year Jared won shooting fat boys.

Year before Scott won shooting ACE.

Hummm - looks like I should shoot fat boys it's their turn.

Matt
Sounds like someone is counting their chickens already.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess I will start with ACEs and go from there since I already have a few sets too play with. Thanks much for the feedback -- greatly appreciated!

Dan Z

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
ACEs are rather fragile, 3D is tough on arrows.

Until you get a feel for the game something like a VAP V6 or even GT Velocity Hunter would be a great choice.

-Grant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts