Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 13" Morrison riser and 45# blackmax limbs. Tried full length 500s with several different grain points but didn't do great. What do you guys suggest.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Funny, that would be my first suggestion ... 2016 (.500) full length 175gr points and 5" feathers. I use that with my 45# set up and get PO with high anchor at 20yd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm shooting 48# Centaurs ILF at my 29" draw and it likes GT 3555 cut to 29.75" with 125 up front. My 46# Chimera also likes this arrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bare shafted again tonight and figured out it wasn't the arrow but my release that was causing the problem. I was so amped up earlier about getting a new bow and setting it up that my form suffered some.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bare shafted again tonight and figured out it wasn't the arrow but my release that was causing the problem. I was so amped up earlier about getting a new bow and setting it up that my form suffered some.
I have certainly been there.
I get like that with just a new set of arrows sometimes.

r.mika

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I can shoot a .500 at 29 1/2", if I shoot 100 grain tips, and the poundage does not exceed 47# (minimum setting on my Titan with 45+ limbs)
Once I turn up the poundage to 54# @ 29", I have to shoot a .400 with 50 grain inserts and 145 grain tip. The down side of carbons is the spine span.

Before you buy new arrows, I wold try a bare shaft and various point weights.
You didn't list your draw length, but the 15" riser is likely adding 2# to your draw weight. TradTechs are listed based on a 17" riser. Even then, the limbs might be off a couple of pounds.

As you found out, form causes a lot of variations in arrow flight.
Good luck and don't be in a rush to change anything until you can be sure of your form.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am shooting 400 spine with 175 total upfront 28.75 draw on 19" satori riser with 45# limbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I shoot a 45 pound recurve, ILF and a standard takedown. At my draw length of 29.5 inches both bows are pulling to 48 pounds, verified on a hand scale. Out of both these bows I shoot a full length Gold Tip 500 spine traditonal carbon arrows. Full length these arrows are 32 inches long and weigh 8.6 GPI. Total finished arrow weight with a 125 grain head is 460.20 grains. Divide this by 48 pounds and I get 9.58 grains per pound of hunting weight. These arrows fly great out to 25 yards, which is a far as I shoot.

·
AKA tracker12
75 Posts
First ? would be are you shooting off the shelf or rest. Nice thing about ILF is putting a raised rest on. I can then tune the bow to the arrow. Those 500's should work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts