Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a rule of thumb regarding how much length cut off an arrow equals “x” amount of point weight reduction.

Something like reducing arrow length by .25” is the same as reducing point weight by 25 grain? Totally just throwing that out as an example.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do not see how that would be possible as carbons come in all weights of grains per inch and thickness as well as spine differences.Cannot see a one rule for all there?

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
I wish I kept some kind of archery journal, but, with the arrows I’ve played with, I want to say that 1/2” arrow length is equal to 75 grains of point weight.

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
Rule of thumb...
2" of arrow length = 1 spine difference
50 grains point weight = 1 spine difference

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lumis17 .... thanks for response.

I know there is not a way to calculate this specifically. Was just looking for rule of thumb or experiences to understand the effect and build better arrows to specs I want and still tune.

·
Registered
212 Posts
jconner got it. Some arrows have odd jumps in spine, so I am a bit more cautious on my rules of thumb:

1" = 50 spine This one is EASY to confirm if you ever forget, just check most arrow charts and go up 100, so I don't worry much about remembering this one.

The weight relationship I found I have to just memorize.. 10gr = 20 spine // 50gr=100 spine

if you forget it, you can use Stu Millers dynamic spine calculator and figure it out:
http://www.taylortel.net/~rickbarb/dynamic_spine_calculator.html

·
Registered
173 Posts
Model your bow/arrow combo on 3Rivers Dynmamic Spine Calculator, or Stu Millers. Either tool will give you the exact trade off of any changes to the arrow.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
DAS used to write for a magazine that was called 'Instinctive Archery'. He had an article in there about this subject. With a .500 spined arrow 1/2 inch of arrow equaled 50 grains of point weight.

His email address was listed in the article and I asked if that held true for .600 or .400 which I was shooting at the time. He responded with 'I only tested .500'.

Now, with a little more experience under my belt, I'd question his premise. I'm not sure going from 125 to 175 would be the same as going from 300 to 350? I'd only question it, he very well could be on the money.

If it wasn't hunting season I'd look for the article.

Bowmania

1 - 9 of 9 Posts