Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok folks I need some of your fabulous advice on arrow tuning.

Just splashed the hubbies cash on some new arrows.

Carbon express Nano SST 800 spine
They are cut to 27 1/4 inches from nock groove to tip but I have a lot overhanging the bow. 110g points.

I have very short arms ;)

My problem is that these new arrows are a bit longer than my old CE MedallionXR. My old arrows are 26 1/2 inches, 1000 spine, 90g point weight. BUT ! the XR's always tuned weak hence the new arrows.

I have kept my new arrows a bit longer so I could cut if I needed to.

So after a very quick tune today at 20m the bareshaft is tuning a bit weak.

My question is should I cut the arrows or reduce the point weight first.

I want to keep my PO as close to 45m metres as possible if not better. I don't like gapping in fresh air.

They are shooting really well but because I stringwalk I have lost about 5Metres and my Point On is now 40m instead of the 45m I got with my XR's.

Any advice would be great fully received.

Cheers
Jo :)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If they are break-off points then removing a section may not have much/any effect due to creating a longer area for the arrow to bend.

Any chance of finding some 100gr points with the same or greater shank length?

-Grant

·
Registered
172 Posts
I going to go ahead and say Dave is correct. Adjust your tip weight first. See how close you can get the arrow to tune. Then if you feel you need to cut only cut a small amount at a time.. DOnt go cut the whole inch off at once when testin new arrows.. I like to cut about 1/4 at a time. Some will go only 1/8 at a time..

On a side note or question... How do you like those Nano's in comparison to the Medallion xr? Im going to get a set of some small diameter arrows this year and im eyeballing those Nanos. Ive tried the Medallion Xr and Pros...Absolutely love em! All my fita and Compound buddies and team mates are running Nanos and Nano extremes..They swear by them but have never shot the medallions for a comparison.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah they make a 90-100gr breakoff steal tip in addition to the 110-120gr. that is an interesting point Grant i never thought about what effect the shank of the point has on the stiffness of the arrow. Makes sense! In that case maybe a Pin knock will help a bit

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Found this before: An inch of arrow length is worth about 5lbs or about 0.050 to 0.080 spine points
10 grains at the point is worth about about a lb

Which would have more effect on your point-on-distance, shortening an arrow by one inch or reducing the point weight by 50 grains?

Reactions: Zulu
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.