Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A long time lurker from years back. I planned to try Olympic recurve 5 years ago but some health problems overtook my plan. Now that I have fully recovered I now plan to pursue trad shooting. I gave my Hoyt Horizon to my son who also wants to start archery and I bought a Hoyt Excel 21" with Tradtech glass/wood short limbs 25# for myself. My DL is 28" AMO. I would appreciate if you can give me advise on what arrows to start with. My local shop (hard to come by in my country) advise me the Easton 1616 full length. or the Rocket Carbon Pro with a700 or 900 spine. Of course, I dropped by here first before commiting :). I would appreciate any suggestion from you guys.

Best,

Edwin

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing you might be pulling a tad less than 25 pounds, since your riser is a tad longer than the riser those limbs are scaled at, either 17 or 19 inches.......
I'm also guessing you might be close with your 1616 or the 700-900 range, and don't cut length much until you are sure where you are; you can vary effective spine some by using lighter points (than normal) or heavier points, lighter stiffens spine, heavier weakens the arrow spine.
I had a lighter 32# target bow once, and 29" .710 spine carbons worked well, with a pretty light point weight, if I remember correctly, it was 80 grains.
Hopefully someone with more intimate knowledge of the lighter weights & spines will join in.

Reactions: efm2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do your own arrows you could pickup 2 of each to see which ones will work.
Hi Whittler,

That's my long range plan. I just don't know how to combine the different nocks, shafts, arrow points at the moment. I plan to buy fletching jig etc. by next year. One by one :). Right now I just want to start with something that will be as close to to a proper arrow to start with. BTW. I will just use it primarily indoors with a maximum of 18 yds. But I guess 18 yds is a dream at this time :). Maybe 5 to 10 meters at most until I get some semblance of grouping.

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
For short range especially indoors aluminum shafts would be fine if you are able to get them cheaper. For outdoors and longer distance carbons have the advantage of lighter weight. If you get 700s leave them full length or they might be too stiff.

There is no need for a fletching jig for target arrows. The various kurly spin wing type vanes go on with sticky tape and minimal equipment. Cheaper too.

Work on good form and you will be reasonably accurate to 18m in no time. Do not aim much; just focus on target center and execute a good strong shot. Accuracy will come as your form and fitness improves. Kindly let us know how it goes for you. We don't hear much from the Philippines. Feel the shot; feel it. - lbg

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
hard to go wrong with GT Warrior 700s left full length with 2" feathers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks longbow guy & Grantmac for your replies. I think the archery scene in the Philippines is starting to pick up. This is evident with the springng up of indoor archery places in the metro. Right now there are only 3 shops that I know who sells archery equipments but I heard the choices are a bit limited. You can't also try their bow before you buy so we just have to rely on subjective evaluation of other enthusiast. I just got my copy of MBB vol.3. Hope to pick up a few from this vid. Again, thanks a lot guys :). Much appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
on my trad tech black Onyx with normal sf recurve limbs, 34# at 28 i´ve been using Carbon express 1000 with 110 grain glue in Points, full length arrow and 3x3" feathers
straight Shooting and good flight with that setup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I think I'll start with 1616 full lenght and the carbon express as it is readily available here.

@ Grantmac. Saw the GT Warrior at LAS. looks promising too. What point weight can you recommend for it?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I think I'll start with 1616 full lenght and the carbon express as it is readily available here.

@ Grantmac. Saw the GT Warrior at LAS. looks promising too. What point weight can you recommend for it?
125gr to start.

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
125 grain points are very heavy for such light limbs. I suggest the lightest points available and try to tune to them. - lbg

Reactions: efm2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts