Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I am a bit curious about a genetical speciality of archers in the USA and Canada ;)

In my own archery group which I coach, I regularly encounter beginners who I thoroughly examine whether their eyes are right or left dominant. After that those beginners start their lessons with a right or lefthanded bow. In about 2-3 of 100 later a switch becomes necessary because they weren't really one-eye-dominant but even and they might simply cope better after switching due to better manual ability of the right hand or so.
My experience concerning the relation of Rh to LH shooters, which I often have discussed with other trainers and got the same numbers, is 1/3 left and 2/3 right dominant people. Perhaps a relation 1/4 left to 3/4 right, but not more apart.
I would have expected, that this relation also fits to sales numbers of risers.
Isn't that logical?
It fits, when I look at sales in Europe.
It doesn't fit at all when I look at the sales in the USA!
You US-archers only buy righthanded risers. No single left riser left Germany with destination USA.
Miracle? Genetical effects ;) ?
Where are the 30% potential customers with left eye dominance?
Is the Tradtalk website equipped with secret code that displays certain content to right dominant eyes, only?
Questions over questions...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well sir, I am left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed, and have for many years. It's a bit of a challenge shooting with cross eye dominance, and now that I wear glasses with bifocals, adds a bit more. The reason that I shoot this way is two fold. It's a lot easier to find right handed bows and risers, and I have always been a bit of a trader. Left handed bows usually don't move to well on the used market, and they seem to be cheaper. Don't know how many other people there are out there like me, but that's my story.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Lefties are mainly communists so we don't talk to them.

***Disclaimer*** there is very little truth in the above statement. My daughter said to tell you that 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well Sir,
I am left hand and left eye dominant. I can shoot compounds either hand but about in 96 I switched to left hand recurve and have not looked back.. I am weird thou...I play golf right handed,baseball right handed, shoot a basketball left handed, long guns left, pistols right. Who knows

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I think LH competitive archers seem to stay with a given riser much longer simply because there are fewer to try. Us RH guys seem more likely to get sucked into the flavor of the week.

-Grant

Reactions: Harpman

·
Registered
245 Posts
i am left handed and right eye dominant. I have shot both left handed and right handed. Same goes for firearms.

Bottom line: I can hit a bullseye right handed, I can't hit the side of a barn left handed! I think that the ability to move to RH to match my eye dominance was not a big deal after a couple of weeks of shooting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought in America lefties were 10 to 15% of the population could be wrong. I do everything left handed but have played around with right handed shooting until I lost an index finger on my right hand and a knuckle joint on the middle finger so now I only shoot left handed which suits me fine. Have some buddies that are left handed and it seems the lefties are better than average shots as well!

Todd

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I switched and shoot left-handed. As much as I would like a new riser I typically only buy used, maybe lefties are just cheap?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe I just read a statistic recently put out by the U.S. Census Bureau that of the entire population of the United States, somewhere around 13% are left handed.

If, however, you attended Sister's school in the '50's and early '60's, that number goes down dramatically(yet somehow I persevered and remained left handed, my brother was not so lucky). Nun's were brutal on left-handers.

Probably the reason you're not exporting left handed risers to the States is that we're either too poor, or too frugal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shooting left handed has NOTHING to do with being lefthanded.
It has only to do with being eye-dominant on the left side and thus, drawing the string to the dominant = left eye.
Holger

·
Spearhead
3,576 Posts
I'm right eye, right hand.
Now my youngest son is left hand left eye dominant, knowing this I've thought him to shoot left handed, it's more natural for him gun or bow.
Wouldn't you know the teachers of the wonderful school system pushed him to wright right handed. FRUSTRATION!!!!!!

Chad

1 - 20 of 35 Posts