Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sets of limbs, Samick carbon wood longs, 36#, and Hoyt Carbon plus mediums, 42#. I have been shooting them on a 21" Hoyt Excel riser.

The Samicks make a little over 50# at my draw and I shoot a 31" 2216 with a 125 gr point that I think is about 550 gr. It shoots nice and quiet.

The Hoyts make just under 60# at my draw and I shoot 31" 2219 with 125gr point that I think is a little over 600 gr. The hoyt limbs are loud, loud.

I would have thought that since both set ups are

I guess my question is....Are some limbs just louder than others?

Thanks
Dan

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
In my experience, some just are louder than others but it also has to do with the riser they are mounted on, the string, your release, tiller, arrows, etc, etc,. At 10GPP, I would imagine they ought not be too noisy. Is it the limbs making a loud twang/pop/snap sound? 3-under or split-finger?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Split finger.

I assume it's the limbs making the noise. I would think that if it was a form problem it would be that same for both set ups.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
alignment, tiller, and brace all play a part.
two limbs of the same profile, but different taper can require different BH to keep them quiet.
so yes.
you can also change the noise of the bow with different string mass.

so yes... also snuggness in the limb pockets can also create a noise...

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
SO the Hoyts are noisy on the Excel riser too?
I'd suspect the ILF fittings or something there, loose or just bad fittings.
Be sure fittings' screws are snugged in well....I have had BAD fittings that were just noisy, sounded like a .22LR going off.... replaced, quiet again.
OR them being mediums and you having a 32" DL, you stretched them a bit too much. They could be "ready to go"......not in a good way.
Try top limb on bottom, and bottom on top.
See if anything changes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,

You hit it. I went home at lunch and figured out the bushings on the Hoyts were a full turn loose. They've always been loud but were my first ILF limb so I assumed that's just the way it was. Never shot them that much because of the noise. Certainly couldn't hunt with 'em. I bought the Samicks a couple of years ago to have something light weight to work through a shoulder injury. They were quiet but I assumed it was because of the weight diff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all the weighted in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts