Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting off the shelf with a rug-style rest (shelf) and felt pads (strike plate) on my Hoyt Game Master 2, and its quiet on the draw and no obvious sound when releasing an arrow.

Most of the members in my club are Olympic-style shooters and when they draw back their arrows, I hear a LOT of screeching (especially aluminum shafts) and noise. They don't care about noise on the draw.

So from a hunting perspective, if I wanted to use an elevated rest / plunger combo, are they quiet when drawing an arrow back? What kinds of rests are recommended or do you really have to put some heat shrink tubing on the wire rests I've seen?

Many thanks,
Daniel.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A couple simple evaluated rests that are quite. The Bear Weather rest and the brush rest. Both are pretty inexpensive and pretty bullet proof.
I use the brush rest and have since about 1973 on my hunting recurves. I learned a few years back about a simple mod to this and the weather rest to bring the arrow closer to your hand. I shave the plastic under the arrow rest and mount it about 1/4 in above the shelf. This also allows me to shoot vanes in wet weather.
I did use the flipper rest on my old Jennings compound. I think they are still around. It has a plastic tube on the metal flipper to help cut the noise. I seem to remember getting more noise from my cushion plunger than the rest.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
An elevated rest can be quiet. The material the arrow is made of and also that of the rest can be factors in quietness. I have in the past, gone so far as to take some thin moleskin and cut it to fit over a wire rest to keep the arrow squeak from happening.

Tom

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I agree on the Bear Weather Rest. Very quiet. I'm planning on trying out moleskin or some thin covering over a couple of wire and spring rests that I've been shooting and enjoying here of late like TradArcher mentioned.
I think Pat Norris either posted a technique on another thread or his website about how to quiet his springy rests for hunting.

·
Spearhead
3,579 Posts
A dot of mole skin on the plunger button make it whisper quiet. Note it will wear out and move ESP in warm weather.
Also a dot of shaved thin leather on the button also is quiet.
Note if leather and glue (super glue) soaks all the way through the leather it will create a squeak also.
So a light coat of glue on the leather dot, let dry then glue to plunger button.

Also a dot of moleskin on riser behind wire (if) wire touches riser on release.

Chad

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
As other have said they can be quiet. The harder materials seem to make more noise, I had a Hoyt super rest that was OK but the NAP flipper rest is dead quiet. The other cheapo stick on rest are not quiet. I bought one of each last year to check them out, I should post a pic.

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
I cover the wire rest with heat shrink tubing. I have not had an issue with noise from the AAE Master plunger, but had noise with the Trad Tech Shorty and the X-Spot adjustable. I think aluminum arrows are a bit noisier than carbons too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts