Trad Talk Forums banner

Archery now 'cool' - 'Hunger Games' effect

17K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Zachseaman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hope it will be a long run instead of a fad.

Time will tell.

Erich

#3 ·
#4 ·
My club's JOAD program has experienced quite an increase in activity. This happened when the Lord of the Rings (?) movies first came out, too. It is pretty much a fad but, as Dana points out, some will stick.

I wonder how many of us older guys became interested in archery after seeing the movie and TV series "The Adventures of Robin Hood"? Probably a lot of us. :shooting:

#5 ·
At my local range, the guy running the store today said that it's hard to get beginner equipment at the moment as it's all backordered.

I just started, though not due to Hunger Games, but I will say that the movies have made archery more salient, and my non-archer friends think I'm a badass for learning.

I'll take it. :jk:

#6 ·
Did you get this sort of surge when Lord of the Rings came out?

I ride racing bicycles, and got in back in the 80's when Greg Lemond was rockin' the Tour De France.

When Lance started winning, the once lonely backroads were suddenly crowded with Lance-a-likes.

Was actually worse for the upper ranges of the equipment range, as looking like Lance and riding a bike like Lances was not cheap.

#9 ·
Our junior archery program on Saturdays has about 27-28 shooters every week, not sure if HG makes a difference. Like every other 'activity' some stick, others don't. We have kids who have been shooting for several years. And one girl who has been shooting since she was a tot, who is now a college sophomore. You do get a few diamonds ;-)

#14 ·
Was archery ever NOT cool?

I remember the first time I was really impressed with archery in a movie. It was the original "Clash of the Titans" back in the early 80's.

When Medusa came out with that recurve and the arrows were hissing past anything she shot at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.