Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Archery Form Update: Constructive criticism needed (NEW video)

UPDATE! New video of my recurve form. Thanks for all of the previous critiques. They have helped tremendously. Some things I feel like I've improved on is my anchor. I'm now anchoring on my right canine tooth instead of the side of my lip. MUCH more solid, and I can tell if my draw is creeping. A looser grip and not grabbing at the bow upon release, but letting my fingers drape across the bow. (still working on this one, I sometimes grip it too tightly.) Also, I've slowed down my tempo considerably and holding longer at full draw. Although, there are still times when I release too quickly upon reaching anchor.

More constructive criticism is welcomed.

Link to new video here...

·
ryan brodrick
2,137 Posts
You're doing a lot of things right.

A few things:

Slow down.

Don't draw past your anchor and then settle back into it with that decrease in draw length. You're actually reclaiming your back tension and the release looks good but that over drawing will come back to bite you later.

Looking good though and you seem to have good control of your draw weight. Just slow things down.

Reactions: TLY

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
You have made a good beginning. everwood is right that your tempo is very quick, too quick for your aim to settle. But the main thing I think you should work on next is your back shoulder. It would be better to rotate it further around toward your back. The way is to do that is with the muscles near your spine. They should draw your scapula toward your spine, and that will bring your shoulder, elbow and forearm around with it. You want to get your elbow and forearm in line with the arrow and target line. That will also help keep your string hand from flipping out. Squeeze the back and expand the chest.

Read up on those issues and practice the position in front of the bathroom mirror. Then get back to us for more. - lbg

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You are shooting open hand with a sling
during the follow through you grab the bow,,,,,,,,,,,which makes the sling pointless?

The open hand non grip has for the most part fallen away form modern day use (you tube Brady ellison of any of the top fita shooters)

Touch the riser with your fingers give your fingers some place to register it will give you a more stable bow arm, plus you will not have to grab the riser after the arrow is gone!

Riser grabbing leads to many ills down the road.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
As has been noted, slow down some. Come to a solid anchor and then (at least for a brief period) maintain a stable state with no changes. It is then that you can immerse into whatever aiming style you are doing and once satisfied, decide to commit to the shot or let it down. Beyond that, IMO, Redbow has offered good advice.

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Imagine that the next arrow is the last one you will ever shoot in your life, slow down and enjoy the ride. I think overall you look pretty good, I just don't understand the race to get back to anchor? How do you think you're doing? How is your accuracy coming along?

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Too much head movement. Nock, hook, grip..... look at the target. From then keep your head still until the shot is over. Bring the string to your face. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are shooting open hand with a sling
during the follow through you grab the bow,,,,,,,,,,,which makes the sling pointless?

The open hand non grip has for the most part fallen away form modern day use (you tube Brady ellison of any of the top fita shooters)

Touch the riser with your fingers give your fingers some place to register it will give you a more stable bow arm, plus you will not have to grab the riser after the arrow is gone!

Riser grabbing leads to many ills down the road.
Redbow, thanks. That actually makes a lot of sense. Will also be working on that on the bale next time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imagine that the next arrow is the last one you will ever shoot in your life, slow down and enjoy the ride. I think overall you look pretty good, I just don't understand the race to get back to anchor? How do you think you're doing? How is your accuracy coming along?
Ever since winter ended, I've been mostly working on form and training my mind to subconsciously measure windage and alignment by shooting tape down the middle of my target. Right now I can group within the 4 and 5 ring at 10 yards. With the occasional flyer and the occasional X. Have not shot too much at 15 or 20 yards yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Opinions vary on this, but I favor a brisk draw, and for target purposes I am OK about moving the face down to find the best anchor. Where I like to slow down is after draw and anchor- transfer to the holding positions, begin to aim, let the aim settle. Then commit to the shot, and begin to expand until the shot goes off. In training it takes a long time to do all these things. Once they are learnt, you can move through them fairly quickly. But not so quickly that you skip any steps. - lbg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE! New video of my recurve form. Thanks for all of the previous critiques. They have helped tremendously. Some things I feel like I've improved on is my anchor. I'm now anchoring on my right canine tooth instead of the side of my lip. MUCH more solid, and I can tell if my draw is creeping. A looser grip and not grabbing at the bow upon release, but letting my fingers drape across the bow. (still working on this one, I sometimes grip it too tightly.) Also, I've slowed down my tempo considerably and holding longer at full draw. Although, there are still times when I release too quickly upon reaching anchor.

More constructive criticism is welcomed.

Link to new video here...

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Whoa, looking good! I really like the relaxed string hand fingers at follow-through, and relaxed face. But what I really, really like is the long gaze at the target while preparing the shot. When I do that I think of a great cat preparing its attack. Looking, looking, feeling, accessing the subconscious mind. My image is the Puma, thought to have the highest success rate of the great cats. You may be more of a Tiger type guy. I bet you are getting really accurate sometimes. - lbg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts