Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Hunger Games the other day. I enjoyed the archery in the movie. When looking for reviews of the movie, I stumbled across a few articles on how the movie has inspired lots of younger folks to go out and experience archery for the first time.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...culture-moment/story?id=16011857#.T3dCE81RGFA

Nugent, a member of the Bowhunters Hall of Fame, loves how realistically Lawrence carries herself as bow-wielding Katniss Everdeen in the movie. Apparently Lawrence hit the bullseye with the performance.
"All of us archers and bowhunters are so very happy to see real honest-to-God archery form being displayed properly for a change," Nugent tells USA TODAY. "Proper archery is one of life's most beautiful ballets, especially when executed by a beautiful woman like Jennifer."
He adds, "It makes for the ultimate eye-candy."
Lawrence trained extensively with 4-time Olympian Khatuna Lorig prior to filming. "I had no choice but to be good," she said. "I was working with an Olympian." [USA Today]

·
Registered
63 Posts
I work at a movie theater and dropped in on a few of the scenes. The archery form is actually very good (don't know about the movie), but I just get one of those "something ain't right here" vibes when she's out in the woods hunting with picturesque olympic 'split finger anchor on the jawline string across the nose' form.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
We have had a rise in numbers coming into our club in the last few weeks, all wanting to learn to shoot traditional archery so the Hunger Games has to be viewed as a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Form etiquette aside, The movie shows the bow as the great equalizer (or non-discriminating weapon) it has been throughout it's history. A young girl, small boy, mother, anyone who has learned to use it, is a formidable opponent. The biggest, strongest axe wielding Viking, could be laid to rest whilst still in his longboat by well disciplined child. The bow changed history, it's good to see it's getting some air time.

·
Dark Ninta Clan
401 Posts
I loved the movie, and the archery seens were great. Best part was seeing trailor for Avengers! Hawkeye is going to be in it, so another archery hero coming to the main screen soon!

·
Registered
406 Posts
My wife and I are going tomorrow to see the "Hunger Games"......I read the whole book to her at night when we went to bed, a few chapters at a time. Almost thru with the second book "Catching Fire".....I'm not too concerned about the form, its just a movie and the gal who instructed her is a Oly shooter so she had good training. She shoots with the anchor kinda under her chin which shows the Oly influence....

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to encourage everyone to read the three books. They are great. It is an amazing story of the U.S. government and society falling apart and citizens being basically enslaved by the government. The archery and hunting in the story are nice bonuses.

Reactions: pondscum2

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to encourage everyone to read the three books. They are great. It is an amazing story of the U.S. government and society falling apart and citizens being basically enslaved by the government. The archery and hunting in the story are nice bonuses.
Was this thought approved to be posted by president Snow and the Capitol?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The movie is a blatant copy of the japanese film " Battle Royale" very good but a bit more gory! I,ve never seen any archer shoot off the wrist before!!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The movie is a blatant copy of the japanese film " Battle Royale" very good but a bit more gory! I,ve never seen any archer shoot off the wrist before!!
I disagree. They are similar in that they both involve children fighting to the death. But that's where the similarities end. Battle Royale is a gore fest that is a Japanese cult favorite because of the excess violence.

Hunger Games is about the government having total control over its citizens. They can force citizens to send 24 of their children to a death match and force the whole country to watch on an American Idol style TV show. Also, the Hunger Games is as much about survival as fighting. Unlike Royale, a skilled woodsman who can find water, food and shelter is as dangerous as a skilled fighter.

With the modern reality TV flavor to Hunger Games, it might be closer to S. King's The Running Man than Battle Royale. Although it is way better then The Running Man. Anyone who doesn't read the three books is seriously missing out on a unique story.

Reactions: philv888

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was impressed with her form but its a strange mix of oly recurve and english longbow.

When she is in the arena she is shooting a metal risered bow with plastic fletched arrows off her hand with an oly anchor and split finger release.

Anyone who can shoot squirrels in the eye to preserve the pelt is definitely to be feared.

I enjoyed the book a lot more than the movie but either way it can't hurt archery.

cheers
Surly

·
Haybale Hunter
384 Posts
I saw the first movie and thought it was entertaining. Not enough to suck me in to the entire "Hunger Games" franchise but definitely worth the watch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 10 year old resurrected zombie thread is always interesting. It’s proof the search function works.

Quality exposure in a movie never hurts a sport or activity And I think Hunger games was a positive over all for archery.

The state control elements of the movie are obvious, but so are the class “haves” and “have nots” elements. The movie reflects (and magnifies) reality in both respects. If that gets people thinking critically and reflecting on things we might want to change, that’s not a bad thing either.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
i've seen greater interest in archery, particularly traditional archery, among young folks since the movie came out. anything that interests them in the sport is to be taken as a good thing imo...hopefully, it will get parents etc that used to shoot fired back up again, having something they can do as a family without embarrassing their kids in front of their friends(y).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts