Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we have 91 registered particapants from GA to SC so far. Looks to be a great shoot again this year. If you havent been to the Appling Bowhunting Festival, you need to come on down. Here is the linkfor more info:

http://www.applingarchers.com/

Also, I will be bringing two bows this year. I will have my new target rig as well as my hunting rig with me. If anyone needs a loaner bow, I got you covered. It is a smooth shooting 38# Warf that shoots like a dream, just add arrows!!

I hope that I am not overstepping my boundries by posting this update on the Appling Bowhunters Festival. I know how busy some are and with turkey season starting I imagine many are in the woods.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Del, we've got a workday Saturday to frame up our new shower house so we're making good progress with new camping facilities. We've gotten quite a few more entries than I have posted yet and thanks for getting yours in early. Guys being guys, the last couple of weeks is when we get the majority in.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No worries Hogtamer, I kinda figured that everyone there was real busy. I look at the list of registered participants every few days to see who else has showed up. I am STOKED!!!

I cant wait to see the new facilities. You dont know how much everything yall do for this shoot is appreciated. Words alone cant express the thanks that you all deserve.

Next year I may just have to break out the tent and camp out. but then again, I have been known to sleep walk and the wife says I snore like a bear!!

I have an idea for a new shoot that I want to run by you, I'll pm it for you to look over at your lesure.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I'm bringing five. Sent in a registration paper today. I'm hoping to at least see Lambow there. Looking forward to it in a big way. The boys and I had much fun last year. It was great to meet Warped Arrow and I hope to hang out a little bit more with him this time.

Loved meeting Hogtamer and shooting a few arrows at dark.

It was a highlight for us.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Esquire, This year you will get to meet my loving mother! My wife isnt coming this year. I look forward to meeting your family.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, no mom does not shoot. Last time she shot a bow was while I was a boy scout, and the safest place was infront of the target!!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Only 3 weeks left!! We are now up to 188 Participating archers!!! We have archers from Ga, SC, NC, VA, and KY. Get those registrations in and lets have a blast!!!

I cant wait to see the new facilities. These people do so much for this sport it is amazing. This is my second year and if its anything like last year it will be great fun. Hopefully I wont loose as many arrows this year, LOL!! Bright yellow hens and lime green cocks, with ruby red nocks, I think I may be able to find them!!

Hopefull Hogtamer will have a minute to chime in on how the new range and facilities are coming along.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We had about 20 guys working hard all day Friday and Saturday on the campsites...We got water and electricity run to sites, got roof and siding on shower house/ restroom. Still some work to do there but it will be ready. As for the 2 ranges, they will be wicked. After all, we want to do our part for the arrow industry in these tough economic times! Looks like there will be around 300 shooters this year plus around 85 kids 12 and under who have there own activities while dad and/or mom shoot Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Also the Appling Opry that usually gets together on the 2nd Saturday night will be joining us Saturday night so if you play something with more than one string, bring that too! I hope one of you guys wins one of our "medals," too just so you can post a picture of it here. And there will be 2 hog hunting trips this year.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome Job!! I know I cant wait!!

As for the medals, Do you have one for most lost arrows? What about for Missing by the largest margin? If ya have either of those, I think I can bring one home.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I am terribly rusty from lack of shooting. But I'm not too rusty to have a good time!

I have a one string "can-jo" that I play a pretty mean melody on! As long as the melody can be picked out on a diatonic scale in a single key!

I've invited another family from my town, hoping to talk them into it...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You signed up? Hopefully those you invited will be able to come as well. I am bringing my hunting bow as well as my target rig. If they need a bow, my hunter is 38# of smooth drawing, arrow blazing fun. All you have to do is add arrows.

I just counted the # of Posted Registered Particapants: 220!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!

Of all the events that happen in a typical year, I look more forward to this than any other event. Next year I am going to try and take first place in my class. This year I will be happy with the top 20. Been shooting almost every day and I have gotten better, but not where I want to be. In time, in time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
BTW, you guys are welcome to come in a day early and camp if you like. Began setting up range on Saturday....this is a WOODS course so would recommend long pants, sturdy shoes, bug spray (including permanone) and PLENTY of arrows! Distance will be from 4 to 40 ++ yds. There are some interesting rock formations, lots of blowdowns where game tends to hide, some steep sided creeks, low hanging vines, a briar patch or two and lots of shade/sun contrast if the weather is sunny, sorta dark and mysterious if it's cloudy. Mike, is Alisha shooting this year? Your registration said yeah and if so I have a nice couple to pair you with. If not you could wind up with some bumb like me...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is a WOODS course so would recommend long pants, sturdy shoes, bug spray (including permanone) and PLENTY of arrows! Distance will be from 4 to 40 ++ yds.
4 to 40++ yards, eh? A 4 yard shot? How are you gonna do a 4 yard shot!?! I gotta practice that for sure!! Anything over 60? Sounds like it is gonna be a real challange.

I got everything except for the "plenty of arrows" part. I got just under a dozen so that will have to do, LOL!! Good thing that they are fletched with bright colors!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You never saw a **** in a hole in a creekbank, peering out between a bunch of roots? 4 yds can seem like a long way when you're on your belly leaning out over that creekbank!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You got to be joking!!! Now that sounds like a fun shoot!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Sorry for the slow response. Alisa will probably shoot, and my friend John and his family are coming with us.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats great to hear Mike! Are ya looking forward to defending your title this year??

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I'm like a boxer who has trained by eating snack cakes and drinking soda. I haven't shot in so long!

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm like a boxer who has trained by eating snack cakes and drinking soda. I haven't shot in so long!
LMBO!!!!!!!!! Now THAT was funny!!!!

I've been shooting almost every day, but now I got a new toy for my bow and am playing with it. I'l make a final decision on Sunday if I leave it there or if I practice my last 4 days before the shoot without the new gadget.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Be happy to see you win, if it comes to that, but I'll be ready to give it my best shot, either way. :shooting:

I will not go gently into that good night!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts