Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try to get out for a bear hunt this fall. Going west isn't an option with a baby due in July. I live in SE Indiana and was thinking Kentucky but the West Virginia season is much longer. Due to work and having a newborn it'll be beneficial to have a longer season for flexibility especially when I can get out earlier.

Am I missing any other states that are reasonable to consider? NC is an option. Saw a lot of mountain bears when I lived and hunted there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
NH season is Sept 1 to Nov 30. i see bear sign pretty much anytime I look. All land in NH is also open to hunting unless explicitly posted otherwise with some very large tracts of land around the White Mountain National Forest without roads. NH allows baiting as well as dogs. Maine is also a well known destination for bear. PA has some very large bears and the yearly take is larger than many states total population of bears with large tracts (100,000 plus acres) of woods in the Northern tier of the state.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NH season is Sept 1 to Nov 30. i see bear sign pretty much anytime I look. All land in NH is also open to hunting unless explicitly posted otherwise with some very large tracts of land around the White Mountain National Forest without roads. NH allows baiting as well as dogs. Maine is also a well known destination for bear. PA has some very large bears and the yearly take is larger than many states total population of bears with large tracts (100,000 plus acres) of woods in the Northern tier of the state.
I did an injustice to the northern mountains by limiting by initial search. I didn't even think of looking north of the Mason Dixon. NH is definitely a good option. I appreciate the heads up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I realized in retrospect that Indiana is about equidistant 'tween Colorado and NH. NH and Maine while bear rich are difficult to hunt because of the deep woods and vertical often close to the Rockies . . . tho the same can be said for the Southern Appalachians. Be interested to hear what you decide to do!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
They take some whackers in NC. (And elsewhere, true.)

Do you want 'bigger' or 'better odds'? Depending on what you're looking for, I'd look at harvest rates and average sizes for various states.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They take some whackers in NC. (And elsewhere, true.)

Do you want 'bigger' or 'better odds'? Depending on what you're looking for, I'd look at harvest rates and average sizes for various states.
Definitely want better odds. I don't care about size. More interested in the meat and a nice hide to tan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've come across that a few times. It's a good list but it also means it is probably referenced by a lot of others getting out there. I am not interested in size really and was hoping to find a spot off the beaten path to avoid pressure. That being said I think bear hunting in the east is generally lower pressure anyway.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tennessees bear population is rising. certain areas of Cherokee Nat'l Forest are crawling with them., plus every year or so they live-trap, ear-tag & banish some Gatlinburg dumpster-diving bears...BIG bears! some places i deer hunt/turkey hunt, i see more @#$% bears than what i'm looking for. i just aint got any desire to shoot one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great info! I just need to weigh which state will be most cost effective especially with kiddo #2 arrive in July. Really wish there were some states with spring bear in the east.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts