Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the new Easton 6.5mm arrows? I couldn't hit a target to save my life today on the 3d course and broke most of my 5mm axis. I see the 6.5mm are about half the cost which are tempting but curious is they are comparable to the 5mm axis.

I need 300 spines with 75 grain inserts so its tempting but the black eagle instincts with their 100 grain inserts are also an option.

Thanks!

·
Super curve shooter
131 Posts
I had horrible luck with those arrows. They did shoot good, but anytime two arrows hit together at all I would get splinters, sometimes the whole length of the shaft. seems like every time I went out and shot I was breaking multiple arrows. I feel like the axis are much much tougher arrows. I have not tried these yet but my research has led me to believe that the Easton aftermath will be some really good budget arrows. I’ve read they are pretty tough. same arrow as the 6 mm axis but with not quite as good of specs. I did shoot the 6 mm axis and they were pretty tough and shot pretty good. The 6 mm axis were .003 straightness and the aftermath are .005 I’m not sure about the other specs but I do plan to give the aftermath a try eventually. Edited to add these pictures the arrow with the long splinter hit the other arrow with the short Splinter

·
Super curve shooter
131 Posts
Also wanted to add that if you still want to try these arrows I have five or six in each 300 340 and 400 spine roughly 29 1/2 to 30 1/2 inches long you can have them for free just cover shipping. But I would have to remove my brass inserts and send them with the stock ones. There’s actually a lot more than that but I know there should be that many good ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also wanted to add that if you still want to try these arrows I have five or six in each 300 340 and 400 spine roughly 29 1/2 to 30 1/2 inches long you can have them for free just cover shipping. But I would have to remove my brass inserts and send them with the stock ones. There’s actually a lot more than that but I know there should be that many good ones.
Wow very generous, unfortunately I need 31” minimum thanks to my draw length. Thanks though!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Haven’t shot them yet but just finished fletching up a dozen 340’s for hunting. They have a Matt finish and it is kinda chalky. When I cleaned the fletch area with alcohol I did get a little bit of black residue on the rag. I don’t think they are going to be as tuff as the 6mm axis were but they should be fine for hunting.

Ill probably tune them up this weekend and report back if I see any issues.

I doubt that I would ever want to shoot 3D with them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt that I would ever want to shoot 3D with them.
why not 3D? I’m hoping to have a set of arrows for both 3D and hunting this year. Locally a dozen 6.5 are 79.99 CAD and the Axis 5mm are 169.99.

yesterday I was shooting an untrimmed tab and lost my axis arrows didn’t hold up well to trees. Looking for something cheaper and maybe with an outsert inset of the HIT that the axis used.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,519 Posts
Axis shafts will be much more durable if you use a broadhead adapter ring or a 3/4" to 1" aluminum footing.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I like the Aftermaths. They seem to be durable. Still.able to.use a standard point with their smaller diameter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
why not 3D? I’m hoping to have a set of arrows for both 3D and hunting this year. Locally a dozen 6.5 are 79.99 CAD and the Axis 5mm are 169.99.

yesterday I was shooting an untrimmed tab and lost my axis arrows didn’t hold up well to trees. Looking for something cheaper and maybe with an outsert inset of the HIT that the axis used.
The 6mm axis used a regular insert. I never cared for the HIT inserts that the 5mm axis used. Killed a couple elk with the 6mm axis, brass inserts and fixed head, they held up well.

Id stick with my xx75’s if they weren’t so heavy. I only shoot 60# and I’m worried about pin gap with 550 grain arrows. The 6.5’s are at least 100 grains lighter than my 2315’s

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 6mm axis used a regular insert. I never cared for the HIT inserts that the 5mm axis used. Killed a couple elk with the 6mm axis, brass inserts and fixed head, they held up well.

Id stick with my xx75’s if they weren’t so heavy. I only shoot 60# and I’m worried about pin gap with 550 grain arrows. The 6.5’s are at least 100 grains lighter than my 2315’s
I really enjoyed shooting my 2117s but I had some issues with them bending after hitting a leg or dense object (like a tree haha) so I went back to the axis but they just break the carbon without a collar on them. I really enjoyed the goldtip kinetic pierce arrows but no one around me supplies them anymore

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like the Aftermaths. They seem to be durable. Still.able to.use a standard point with their smaller diameter.
This. The Aftermaths work for me but are sometimes a bit hard to find for sale. I use them on each of my bows to keep the inserts and nocks the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 6.5 bowhunters very satisfied. I also have 6.5 classic on the way I like the inserts. They all break and splinter. I am an Easton dealer in Canada and have shot most of them. Rooty

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This. The Aftermaths work for me but are sometimes a bit hard to find for sale. I use them on each of my bows to keep the inserts and nocks the same.
I have the 6.5 bowhunters very satisfied. I also have 6.5 classic on the way I like the inserts. They all break and splinter. I am an Easton dealer in Canada and have shot most of them. Rooty
Thabks for the reply, if I could have found the 75 grain inserts last night I would have bought them but couldn't wait. Next time I need some arrows I'll give them a shot, until then I know the Axis well enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless your tied to easton, try some Gold tip hunters, I use them in a 300 spine and they have held up very well over the past few weeks, and if I do my part they will hit where I want them out to 40!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Those broken and shredded arrows in above post remind me of the Eastons I bought on sale. I broke 2 bareshafting. Can’t recall the model name. As for Axis, the Axis excel’s I have aren’t very durable either but my old black Axis are. Shot a rebar stake and only bent the field point, didn’t even pop the nock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New here to TradTalk, but I’m a long time member on AT.

I’ve shot the 6.5s for the past 5 months for 3D, and I’ve been very impressed. I shot the 340s out of my compound, and I never broke an arrow until I robin hooded 2 of them. Outside of that, they were tough, and I had no issues.
I actually just picked up some 6.5 BowHunters in 500 to shoot out of my recurve (borderline 600 too weak and 500 too stiff). I’m going to try them at full length, and mess with point weight. If I need to cut them, I will. I’m still trying to match the perfect arrow to my new riser and limbs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have shot those out of my compound and they have worked well. They replaced the Beman 340, which is no longer being produced. Easton owns Beman and I heard they shut it down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Checking back from 2 weeks with 500s....

As my expected expectations, I’ve been impressed. I haven’t had issues with them hitting thing hard (bareshaft went a little wonky will tuning before finding my idea arrow setup). I already got a Robin Hood at 40 yards, which was first ever with a recurve. They are extremely accurate when I do my part. I’ve been really trying to work on my form.
Robin hooded my first and last arrow, and I knew from those releases versus those in between that they were very clean and consistent before arrow impacted the target.

Ignore the fliers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts