Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just imagining what deer season is going to look like this year, last year I wasn't quite ready shooting wise. I've been practicing shooting kneeling and it seem pretty similar to my standing shot, I'd like to use a typical 6'6" type ground blind at least some of the time, does anyone shoot kneeling from this type of stand with a recurve?

·
Registered
442 Posts
hey northbay
i'm assuming ground blind,
i hunt antelope every year in wyoming. i hunt in a blind with a swivel chair. makes it easier also when waiting a long time for the goats to show up.
also i use a 68'' to 70 '' recurve. i cant the bow and have no problem with clearence

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use blinds most of the time now. While I have shot kneeling, I prefer a swiveling blind chair and shoot sitting. I sit for hours and I really don't want to find myself transitioning from sitting to kneeling with a deer close by. A swivel chair is just perfect for comfort and adjusting on the fly. How tall a blind for how long a bow is very subjective. I typically see less than 180 degrees and shoot less than half that. The more you want to maneuver and the more shooting angles you want the longer bows will become problematic unless your blind is much wider and taller. I personally don't like a 6'6" blind but I have used them with a 60" bow and they can work when setup with a lot of thought as to where you think you shots will be. I consider a 76" blind for sitting shots to be ideal for my 60-64" bows. The G100 from millennium is the best all around chair I have purchased and it goes down the lowest. I believe 13"-19". This range is the best for most any blind I have sat in. Most of the other chairs are too tall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use blinds most of the time now. While I have shot kneeling, I prefer a swiveling blind chair and shoot sitting. I sit for hours and I really don't want to find myself transitioning from sitting to kneeling with a deer close by. A swivel chair is just perfect for comfort and adjusting on the fly. How tall a blind for how long a bow is very subjective. I typically see less than 180 degrees and shoot less than half that. The more you want to maneuver and the more shooting angles you want the longer bows will become problematic unless your blind is much wider and taller. I personally don't like a 6'6" blind but I have used them with a 60" bow and they can work when setup with a lot of thought as to where you think you shots will be. I consider a 76" blind for sitting shots to be ideal for my 60-64" bows. The G100 from millennium is the best all around chair I have purchased and it goes down the lowest. I believe 13"-19". This range is the best for most any blind I have sat in. Most of the other chairs are too tall.
Yeah, I was thinking a stool would probably be the way to go with a sort of lunge position, I'll was thinking of using the blind in the morning set up along some abandoned logging roads deer use in the area I hunt so probably 180 deg or less. I'll likely use a climbing stand for the evening sit, I don't want to be out climbing in the dark so a blind I think would be ideal from sun up to mid morning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a nice double bull blind. Used it for years for turkeys and pronghorn. The window height can be tricky, but I have taken animals kneeling and off of a camp chair shooting a recurve from the blind. My last mule deer buck was taken from kneeling position, 60” Blackwidow bow at 12 yds.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I use a mid sized Ghost blind with a Millennium ground blind chair that swivels and wait for the opportune time to draw, just like when I’m in a low tree stand. I can’t see shooting off the knees. The swivel chair lets me get into the right position slowly and quietly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like to kneel better in the blind . Has nothing to do with one's shooting abilities but the background of the inner blind extremely important. Usually wear camo net facecovers , I have different ones depending on weather even in the blind . If turkey hunting as most of us know Davey Smith and Avian X xdr make fantastic decoys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts