Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello tradtalk, just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this;

When i shot my arrow, i missed and it hit wood pretty hard...i tried pounding the insert and it wouldn't move

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Unscrew tip and heat it, screw back in with haste and pull the insert with haste.

I place the tip in a vise and heat, screw arrow into tip and jerk all very quickly.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Be careful heating up carbon arrows. You can compromise the adhesives used in the arrow. Also, if that insert is held in with epoxy then it will likely still be weakened by heat, but you'll have to reapply the epoxy to get it to stick again. Also, be sure that your carbon arrow is structurally sound by bending, tapping, etc. so you are sure it is safe to shoot again.

Another way to get that out without heat is to take the nock off, slide a drill bit in the back, and then swing that sucker hard so that the drill bit hits the insert and knocks it out. However, this might not work since you already tried pounding.

Did you install those inserts yourself? If they are put in with hot melt, which seems likely given that it slid and then locked again, then you might want to move up to a strong 2 part epoxy.

Reactions: recurve28

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have had good luck doing the drill bit method( drop it in dull end first) but be careful, you don't know if its coming out the first swing or the 5th...and them suckers come out in a HURRY. When they do, they will bounce off carpet or anything else and you don't want to lose an heirloom or worse...an eye.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here is how I remove inserts from carbon arrows on a regular basis, but I do ruin an arrow once out of maybe 40 times I do this. There is a fine line between hot enough, and too hot……

I screw in a 200 grain tip(bigger tip makes it easier to apply heat away from the arrow itself)if the arrow has inserts. I apply heat from a butane torch to the field point, being sure to keep the flame away from the carbon arrow. I slowly rotate the arrow during this process. I use a pair of pliers to gently twist the tip loose. I try with the pliers until the insert/tip easily turns, then gently but fairly quickly pull it out before the glue sets up again. Once out, dip the insert/tip in cold water……keep using the pliers, not your fingers. :wink: Once you do this a few times, you get a good feeling for how much heat to apply before the insert/tip is ready to come out. Works great with glue in points too, and works with super glue, epoxy, or hot melt.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Be careful if you actually do try this for the projectile that comes out!

"Another way to get that out without heat is to take the nock off, slide a drill bit in the back, and then swing that sucker hard so that the drill bit hits the insert and knocks it out. However, this might not work since you already tried pounding." Raisins quote

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mitch is spot on
Gary
Here is how I remove inserts from carbon arrows on a regular basis, but I do ruin an arrow once out of maybe 40 times I do this. There is a fine line between hot enough, and too hot……

I screw in a 200 grain tip(bigger tip makes it easier to apply heat away from the arrow itself)if the arrow has inserts. I apply heat from a butane torch to the field point, being sure to keep the flame away from the carbon arrow. I slowly rotate the arrow during this process. I use a pair of pliers to gently twist the tip loose. I try with the pliers until the insert/tip easily turns, then gently but fairly quickly pull it out before the glue sets up again. Once out, dip the insert/tip in cold water……keep using the pliers, not your fingers. :wink: Once you do this a few times, you get a good feeling for how much heat to apply before the insert/tip is ready to come out. Works great with glue in points too, and works with super glue, epoxy, or hot melt.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Mitch uses the same method as me. Like he says, use a long heavy point and heat slowly. Let the heat build up through the point only as much as you need. As a guide, if the point is glowing like a branding iron, she's way too hot 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I bet if one had a dowel, etc. that was longer than the arrow, then it would work well to slide that in through the nock end and then push steadily while applying low heat to the end of the field tip. This would allow one to see exactly when it starts to move and make it less likely to apply unneeded heat. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I bet if one had a dowel, etc. that was longer than the arrow, then it would work well to slide that in through the nock end and then push steadily while applying low heat to the end of the field tip. This would allow one to see exactly when it starts to move and make it less likely to apply unneeded heat. Just an idea.
Good idea Raisins...maybe a brass gun cleaning rod etc. I messed up a couple axis arrows a while back putting the field point in a vise and heating it with a torch while constantly pulling on the arrow. I had hoped the constant pull would allow it to come free as soon as the epoxy let go...but I still ended up with a small crack or two at the end of the shafts. I'll just cut them down a little and put brass in with hot melt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.