Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A close family friend has decided to quit hunting due to age and some bothersome health issues. He was a good friend of my fathers before he passed and after Dad was gone he came around and really got me and my younger brother into waterfowl hunting. Now, well into his 70's he has decided its more work than fun and originally had plans to will me this SX3 and my brother an SX2. With another minor surgery planned for this morning...he stopped by last night. He decided he would rather transfer it now. I never have been comfortable taking anything for free so I asked him what I could do for him and he said he wouldnt mind a .22 for plinking at the range...so after he picks one out I'll atleast cover the cost of that for him.

I've got a handful of pump guns and most of the last decade my go-to has been a Mossberg 935. Anyone here own a 935 and an SX3? This one hasn't even been fired once since he bought it in 2011...and although I have no complaints about my 935, the Winchester feels a little better made. When I get home later I'll probably break it down and see how the internals compare...

·
Premium Member
12,168 Posts
Got a nice look to it.
Only slam-shooter I have experience with is the older Browning A-5s.
All the rest of my shotgunning has been Model 12 Wins and my Charles Daly O/U.
I'll look forward to your reviews.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sam, mine is camo but yep that's the one...:cheers:

Steve, I own several 12ga...only one is Winchester Model 12. Its very old and I got it from the same source. Mine is missing a few inches of barrel due to an accident when he was younger. He slipped and plugged the barrel with snow or ice while duck hunting...and soon after jumped some black ducks. Damaged barrel but no injuries. His father just had it looked over and cut down a bit. I looked for a barrel a few years back because I'm kind of particular about making sure things are done "right" but had a hard time finding the correct one. I thought I found one once but when it got here it was slightly different...

·
Premium Member
12,168 Posts
That Super X3 in the picture Sam put up has real nice lines.
Bet you will like it.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm no autoloading SG guy, but I AM sort of a rimfire nut.

If you are looking for something that will make him smile to shoot then I'd really recommend one of the CZs. Especially the Lux model with the hogsback stock and long barrel, or the fullstock.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Grant, I went to their website. I'm going to show him and see what he thinks. Right now he's recovering from hernia surgery Friday morning so the last thing on his mind is the range. The man has been through a lot( surgeries) but he's tough as hell. I'm sure in a week he will be getting restless and take the time to pick something out.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I've got a CZ455 and it's a wonderful little gun with a real "old world" feel to it. That mini-mauser action just feels so much more like a real gun then the usual 22lr action.

Hope he's feeling a bit more spry in a week or two!

-Grant

Reactions: Mike S

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seriously thanks a lot Grant...he and I both own Mausers of one type or another and I bet he likes the mannlicher stock offered as well. I wish money was no object because I know he would love to have a K98 sniper and I wouldn't hesitate to get one for him if I had the cash. This man was there for me in some pretty dark times ( I was 18 when my father passed). It helped to have*someone like that to keep my brother and I steered in the right direction. He may not be blood but if anyone asks, he is family.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts