Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newer archer here....but fairly familiar with bear bows, black widows, hoyt, wing, main brands, ect....... Anyone heard of Copperhead bows?? I can't tell you more cause it's a bow I just bought and I'm assuming I can't post someone else's pictures on this site without their permission. I'll get the pics up as soon as I can, but it might take a couple of days. Can't tell you anything more than that other than #37 draw, 54 AMO, righty, and apparently is says Copperhead on it somewhere. Honestly, I was kind of impulsive, but bought it from a well know seller. Probably paid too much, but it was a shiny bauble. Some girls buy shoes and some girls buy bows....:-D The seller told me it was a custom bow and he didn't seem to know who made it, other than it was in excellent condition, and I trust his judgement at least as far as the condition of the bow goes as I have bought from him before and have bought at least 20 bows in the last couple of years everywhere from craigs to flea *bay. I asked if it was a PSE and he said no.

Oh yea, this isn't an actual bow with copperhead snakeskin on it, but a traditional wood risered recurve. White limbs, two tone riser....you guys can probably figure out who I bought it from if the seller hasn't already taken down the listing.

Thanks again for any help!!

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
12,785 Posts
Jennifer welcome to the forum.
If you have the pics from that bow purchase on your computer, they are yours, and you can post them here.
Hopefully someone here will get you some help.
IF your bow has any identifying numbers on it, in your pics, if we can see those, it might give a clue.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey welcome. 20 bows,wow

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had one for a while. It was a 3-piece takedown recurve 58" and 55# @ 28". It had a cocobolo riser and glass wood core limbs (if I recall correctly). They had a web-site at that time. It didn't seem to be a bad bow but I sold it because it was too short for me. They were/are made in MS. Here is an old pic...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Copperhead bows are made by Terry Thornton in Brandon Ms. I haven't talked to him lately but as far as I know, he's still making them along with one piece longbows. I've got one of his longbows as well as a 17" wood ILF riser he built me. If you need more info, just ask. Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the quick responses!! Yea...I managed to track down a few mentions of the company right after I posted this. Like one of u guys mentioned, they dont seem to have a website, just a phone number. I also found a small obscure utube video with no sound that was showing off their shop. Thanks, by the way, for giving me the makers name. Was able to research that....they are a small man operation that makes the bows from scratch using non native woods. They employ 4 people(from what I read), and their bows take at least 20 hours apiece to make. (Im getting this info from an article I found online about them, by the way)

Anyway....I like the clean lines of this bow. It had simplistic understated beauty. I have no idea how it will shoot or if my style of shooting will like it and seeing as Im still fairly a newb, I wouldnt attempt to try and give a review of it. My newb philosophy on bows is you wont know if ya like it till ya shoot it, and that may mean that you have to take a gamble and cough up the $$$ to try somethin new. I really love Bear bows and have shot a few of them....hoping this one will be a winner.

Thanks again for all the help and for welcoming me. Im just getting back into the game after suffering archers elbow in BOTH arms for over a year now...totally nasty!!!

I will post the pics in a day or two here if u guys can wait till I get the bow. Seller didnt have many pics of the bow and no close ups of the tops or unders of the riser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the bow in the mail today...yea!!! My first thought when I opened up the package was, WOW, this is a small bow. I am still fairly new to archery, yet I have managed to get my hands on quite a number of bows to try out over the last two years. The only bow that I ever shot that WASN't a target bow was a Bear Grizzly. This bow is SOOO light compared to the bows I am used to hefting. Ive shot a Bear Tamerlane, Bear Temujin, Bear Polar (heavy riser one), Wilson Bros target, York Constellation, 2 Super Kodiaks (heavy risered versions) and those bows, I swear you have to beef up the arm that is holding the bow more than your draw arm. This bow is like kindling in comparison.

I haven't shot it and I won't for a while, since I am still recovering from archers elbow and I want to make sure I take it real slow this time and build my strength, but I'm liking this bow. The grip is VERY small in diameter and this is probably the first bow out of all the bows I have ever shot where the grip feels comfortable for my hand width. I don't know how a guy would feel about this grip, it's very small. All the bows mentioned above, especially all the Bear bows have quite a bit bigger grips. The super kodiaks have pistol grips that were so deep, they rubbed my hand raw.

I like the astethics of the bow, very clean yet beautiful lines, nice woods, not an over the top heavy risered showy bow like I am used to.

Oh yea... the stats....
Copperhead bow
AMO 54 ( so its gonna stack some)
#37 draw weight
28 inch draw
40014 (think this is the model #)

Anyway, enough of my babbling, here are the pics....If any one knows what model or kind of design this is supposed to be, I would love to hear it. Also, maybe what price point these started out at, so at least I hope I didn't get ripped off. Also, are the limbs wood that have been glassed?? Very unusual looking...pretty, but almost look like man made material underneath the glass, any help??

Thanks!!

Sorry, but I have to past the link to photo bucket, can't get the pics attached here cause the files are too big. Let me know if this is not allowed. This link is my photobucket and has all the picks of the bow.

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/m...3&page=1&_suid=139784609278709630161044496506

·
Premium Member
12,785 Posts
I agree, nice looker there.
Thanks for the pictures, and let us know how it shoots when you get to that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.