Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cats whiskers on my ILF rig. This was as a result from the transition from a silent longbow to the more noisy ILF setup.

As I understand the tuning process more and more I have come closer to taming the rig and feel I should remove the silencers and get used to the set up with minimal accessories as noise is not a concern.

The silencers add nothing to the bow performance and I'm pretty sure I'll adjust in a couple of shooting sessions.

Thanks as always.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Check the rules for whatever organisation you will be shooting with. A quiet bow is not an essential in competition. Although it is nice.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The winex limbs stevelong gave me have limbsavers on them. I tried without them but they make a difference.

I'm gonna remove the whiskers just now and see.

I see on some of Rusty's bows he has small rubber(I think) attachments that look like a +. They're very small and unobtrusive.

·
8,512 Posts
Zulu, the rules can vary with whatever division/category you are shooting under. Best to check especially before you start tuning.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I had them on as I didnt care for the noise without them(string leaches I think). I recently got new strings and havent put them back in. Im tempted to deal with the noise as I feel the fps advantage is worth a bit of noise.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I have shot with the FITA shooters for years and have never seen anyone with string silencers. I see quite a few with limb savers. I am not sure many of them even know what they do, especially the JOAD's. FITA shooters seem to obsess on vibration just like trad shooters obsess on noise.

Aiden is correct about checking the rules. There are limitations to what you can put on a string depending on the organization you are shooting for. If you want a make sure you do not run into a problem, then just leave them off.

The only time I put string silencers on a target bow was to slow down my compound finger bow for indoor shooting. I was able to take a few fps off and shorten my string crawl. I only shot this bow in competition once since I am not a competitive NFAA compound finger shooter.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I don't believe silencers are legal on FITA recurves (not sure about compounds). I never used them on my Olympic rig, but I did have limbsavers on the limbs fades. With the full compliment of rods and weights, the bow was fairly quiet with only a little bit of string hum after the shot. If you're just punching paper, it doesn't matter if you got a quiet bow. Heck, a noisy bow just might startle the guy next to you enough to give you a slight advantage!

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think these are the same as your guys regulations. I can't figure out the arrow restrictions?

Our indoor record on the blue face is 243. Pretty sure I've seen scores posted on here that are well over that.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is SANIFAA which I think is the same as your NFAA.

We also have the World archery. I have looked on there but can only see the full FITA Recurve style. I'm sure Hank shoots FITA but without the sights. There is an indoor tournament right here in my town soon. It would be awesome to enter even though I wouldn't expect to get anywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I spend a lot of time getting as much trajectory as I can out of a target bow. Which include expensive limbs not to mention building a string that is the perfect length and each strand loaded equally.

I am not going to put silencers on the bow. A little string noise is not a problem.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I don't get the string silencer thing. I can understand it for hunting bows, but I do not understand why they seem to be standard equipment on traditional bows that are not used for hunting. I agree with Rusty on this. Why spend time trying to speed a bow up and then slow it down with string silencers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not that what I do is relevant here, because I do not compete. But, on my target/practice/form bow I use half of the normal string silencer material, and move them closer to the tips. I don't feel I need a super quiet bow for practice, but I also like to have a thud sound rather than an annoying twang sound. It does not take a lot of material, or significant slowing down of the arrow speed to get a good amount of noise dampening.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
StevenB, it is return on investment. You may spend $200 to $300 more on a set of limbs that is 5 to 6 fps faster and a little better through the clicker.

I can say that I don't even hear limbs that people complain about. No use giving up any of that expensive speed. Just focus on the dot a wait for the riser to hit the finger sling. It is good practice to shoot the line with compounds. When you can zone out their noise you are solid :)

·
8,512 Posts
Zulu, IFAA: All arrows used shall be identical in length, weight, diameter, fletchings and nocks, without regard for colour, with allowance for wear and tear.

FITA Barebow: Riser, weights, plunger, arrow rest, limbs, limb savers. No clickers, no sights, no 'string bling'.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm sure that is good advice rusty. :) As I said, what I do is not relevant here, unless someone is not able to adapt to the noise, which I would think is a rare thing.

Honestly, I would not have any trouble adapting to any amount of noise. My wife is often annoyed at how effectively I can block anything out when I'm concentrating. But, since I don't compete, and apply archery to hunting, stumping and home practice, I like to use just minimal damping for my target bow. A small amount of material moved closer to the tips might take only 1 fps away, but gives me something that sounds and feels better to me.

Reactions: rusty craine
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.