Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this isn't a Trad topic and I would be happy to take any discussion offline. Just looking for some help/opinions on this subject. I would like to try a scout scope setup on one of my 4570's. Currently I run standard scopes on all my setups but I bought some very stout BB loads that have me a bit concerned with the current eye relief. I need a scope with my vision so irons are out. I find a 2-7x just about perfect but I can drop to a 1-5x if need be. I don't want to go deep into my pockets so $400 is about it. Anyone??? How does this setup work in lower light conditions also?
Appreciate any help.

Registered
I had that setup on a .450 marlin. Great for close range but it really didn't do the gun justice for it's capabilities. I ended up putting a 3-9 on it. But I would rather have my bow nowadays 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the input. Where I use mine I am interested in 125 yards at the most. Considering that range, can you tell me what you though of yours at that range. Is that what you consider close range? How about low light conditions? Any cons there?

I really like the 2x7 Leuplod on it now. I guess I would also consider a standard scope with more like 5" of ER too. According to the specs my scopes and most I see out there are solidly under 4" so while a scout scope was always of interest to me, I could go with a standard scope setup with better ER. I'd be happy with 5".

Registered
I use one for working up loads for my M1 garand. I have 2-6x, but find the image to be strange at 6x when I can still see around the scope. I would only hunt with it at 2x. Only really used 6x at a vintage sniper team match one time a few years ago. The 600 yard target is easier at 6x than with irons, but it is a 2.5 moa gun no matter what kind of sight you have. They changed the rules and my wife and I haven't shot that match again. Originally they let us use any no gunsmith scope mount with an appropriate magnification scope, now you have to have the side mounted original impossible to get scope for that division.

Registered
Marlin 1895G w/ 2 3/4x Burris; Ruger Scout w/ 2x Leopold FX-II; Ruger Ranch 6.8 w/ Burris Scout Scope; M1A w/ Burris; and multiple AR's with forward mounted optics. Despite low power optics I can easily hit 8-10" plates supported out to 300 if the rifle is capable of it. Offhand shots out to 200 or so are nice too because of less perceived movement when you're in the scope. IMO Scout setups are supposed to be light, compact, and durable so I stick with the fixed low-power Scout scopes.

I've enjoyed them all and used them on deer successfully. Like any other weapon system it takes practice but eventually being very quick from low-ready to on target is easy with both eyes open.

Read Jeff Cooper's "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth." He outlines what many consider the genesis of the "Scout".

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

Wood Office supplies Soil Landscape Pipe

Plant Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun

Registered
I liked shooting with both eyes open, probably the greatest advantage. But not great for picking deer up in thick cover. I would put this in Mr asbells to skin a cat category. I tried it and didn't like it. You may find it works for you.

Registered
I liked shooting with both eyes open, probably the greatest advantage. But not great for picking deer up in thick cover. I would put this in Mr asbells to skin a cat category. I tried it and didn't like it. You may find it works for you.
Definitely to each his own and yes there are many ways to skin the cat. all the deer I鈥檝e gotten with them have been sub 50 yds in thick woods. Never had an issue and actually found it easier than with a higher power scope because of the wilder 鈥渇ield of view鈥漮f keeping both eyes open.

Premium Member
I built my first scout rifle based on Coopers thoughts probable almost 30 years ago

it was built on a Sako action chambered in 30 06

I built it for whitetail hunting in thick woods

it works well but as much as i like Coopers work i prefer a scope setup for that kind of use to have a 1-3 variable mounted normally that has good eye relief shot both eyes open for that kind of work like this 375 H&H

or

IMHO a rifle setup this way is quicker on close things and more accurate at distance

if I want the fastest sighting system for close work I would use a forward mounted red dot sight like below

either way while I like th concept of the scout scope principal and Jeff Coopers work I believe there are better ways to sight a rifle

Registered
It only takes a couple of inches of extra eye relief to insure that you dont get bit by a scope if thats a concern. I think JParanee is right on.

Registered
I tried and like the concept of a scout rifle, but I found that the ghost ring site works better for me. I have ghost rings sights on a Ruger scout rifle, a lever action 30 30 and slug gun. All three weapons work great this way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It only takes a couple of inches of extra eye relief to insure that you dont get bit by a scope if thats a concern. I think JParanee is right on.
I agree but any ideas on scopes that give you a couple extra inches?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried and like the concept of a scout rifle, but I found that the ghost ring site works better for me. I have ghost rings sights on a Ruger scout rifle, a lever action 30 30 and slug gun. All three weapons work great this way.
There is alot regarding rifle sights that interest me like ghost rings setups but I need an optic with my eyes.

Registered
There is alot regarding rifle sights that interest me like ghost rings setups but I need an optic with my eyes.
I used a 1-3 power scope. On the scout rifle it was mounted on the front factory rail. On the slug gun I was able to mount it all the way forward on the cantilever scope mount. On the lever gun, I had a gunsmith mount a XS brand scope rail to the flat top receiver of my Marlin 336.

The scope I used was a Leupold 1- 3 power slug gun scope. The scope is made for slug guns and is a shorter tube than your standard 3x9 rifle scope. This allowed for enough eye relief to avoid scope bite from recoil.

I was able to sight all three weapons with a fifty yard zero, which put me inside the vitals on a deer, out to 75 yards with the slug gun, 100 yards with the 336 and 125 with the 308. Shots were I hunt are 125 yards and in.

It worked great on the bench but during hunting themass weight on all three guns was cumbersome, so I went back to ghost ring iron sights.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree but any ideas on scopes that give you a bit more?
I run either redfield revolution鈥檚 or leupold vx1鈥檚 on all my lever guns. ER is adequate
I used a 1-3 power scope. On the scout rifle it was mounted on the front factory rail. On the slug gun I was able to mount it all the way forward on the cantilever scope mount. On the lever gun, I had a gunsmith mount a XS brand scope rail to the flat top receiver of my Marlin 336.

The scope I used was a Leupold 1- 3 power slug gun scope. The scope is made for slug guns and is a shorter tube than your standard 3x9 rifle scope. This allowed for enough eye relief to avoid scope bite from recoil.

I was able to sight all three weapons with a fifty yard zero, which put me inside the vitals on a deer, out to 75 yards with the slug gun, 100 yards with the 336 and 125 with the 308. Shots were I hunt are 125 yards and in.

It worked great on the bench but during hunting themass weight on all three guns was cumbersome, so I went back to ghost ring iron sights.
Ahhh! I鈥檓 gonna look into a slug gun scope and see what鈥檚 available out there.

Super Moderator
My comments are not for the original poster who has placed some limitations on the issue. And some of the other posters are not near Col Cooper's original concept. Some are nearer an ordinary deer rifle.. The original concept was for light, short, simple, handy, slinged, powerful, with little if any magnification. His idea was that if you felt the need for a scope it should be very low magnification so you could use it intuitively and quickly with both eyes open.

Do not under-rate iron sights, especially the ghost ring rear sight. With practice they can be very fast and very accurate, even with old eyes and appropriate eyeglasses. I sometimes shoot a 'surplus silhouette' match. We use WW1 and WW2 service rifles with iron battle sights and shoot at metallic silhouettes at 100 to 500 meters. Part of the competition is shot standing. Mine is a Swedish 1895 Mauser, one of the most accurate military rifles ever. A fair hand at this game would likely be able to take deer to around 300 yards with some sort of a rest, maybe his hat on a log. - lbg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts