Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for my first bowfishing trip on Easter weekend, and I recently purchased a Muzzy Bowfishing Arrow locally. It seems well made, but it's extremely heavy and stiff. I can't hardly shoot it at all with the 45# recurve I was planning on using. I'm gonna have to make it work, but it's really much too stiff for even my 57# recurve. I bet it sticks in a carp alright, but the arrow looks like it's flying at a 30 degree angle. It seems like it's made for the fast modern compound bows in the higher weight ranges. This makes sense as most bowfishers probably use fast compound bows in the 50+ pound range, but it doesn't work well for my recurve.

Anyone able to find a bowfishing arrow that works well for their trad setup?

·
Super Moderator
703 Posts
I used to go carp shooting a ton and I never really bothered with tuning since the shots were pretty close (like 10 yards). When I used a recurve it was a metal one, though, and I set the centershot down the middle (or maybe slightly past?) and it usually went straight enough to work.

I’d suggest finding an old finger compound bow for bowfishing, like a Hoyt SuperStar or Reflex Caribou. Those always seemed much better to use than a heavy recurve.

·
Super Moderator
703 Posts
Btw, I should note that my bowfishing was all local, fun day trips. If you’re going on an expensive trip for something like an alligator, stingray, etc. then definitely listen to someone else :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I probably spent 15 days on a boat in the last few years, hunting carp with a bow. My experience has also been on low-key trips with friends/family.
I typically use a 45# recurve. Practicing in the yard it does seem like the arrow is going slow. But the arrows weigh a lot so they have the inertia to penetrate water, and this weight and inertia overcomes the lack of speed.
When your arrow is flying sideways, do you have the retrieval string hooked up? Seems like my arrows look ponderous in the air, but they do fly fairly straight. I wonder if the string is acting like fletching to assist in that part of the equation.
I keep a couple bows around that are set up for bow fishing, so adjustments and what-not don’t have to be undone to go back to shooting regular arrows. One of my go to accessories is a big hook style of rest (muzzy 1080), which keeps the arrow ready to go more easily when you’re hunting. This style of rest also allows for easy adjusting of center shot.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Something sounds wrong for sure.
My brothers and I shot many carp growing up.
One year there was a closeout sale on Shakespeare Archery bows at the Milwaukee Sport show. ( when it was a big event)
I'm thinking 1977 ish.. we pooled our money together and added a #40 recurve to our arsenal. It was a short bow as I recall and we named it the Flea killer.
We all loved that bow and would rather shoot it over our Grizzlies or Kodiak.

Fish arrows have always been heavy fiberglass. No flight issues.

We used to used to walk into Warrior archery which was owned by Wally and Joe, his wife, to look over the shoot thru hoops and such.
Joe would hand us string and an arrow and tell us" you don't need that, go get yourself a soup can and wind your string on it." She knew we a didn't have much money. They were wonderful people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no problems shooting the heavy fiberglass arrows from a 50lb. recurve. I hope you are using an AMS safety slide on your arrow. Much safer and possibly better arrow flight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts