Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting on a big 10 point that started showing up this week. Tonight I watched 25 deer out of my tree stand and a couple decent 8’s for the hill country. Let them walk, had 20+ does within 15-20 yards and a big bodied 9 came in. Immediately chased off both 8’s and was pushing the does around. I watched Him for 10 minutes as he tempted me…. He got to 15 yards, offered me a quartering away shot and the Palmer broadhead took flight, busting through right behind the shoulder. The old Steve DAS riser did its job pushing the BH through both sides. He must have spun as the shot went in where I aimed but came out the front. Took a chunk of his heart and lungs were gone. Watched him run about 15 yards and slow down. At 30 he laid down. Laid for a few minutes with the head up, stood up and staggered into the brush. I’ll be danged if he didn’t go 150 yards before dropping dead. Guy was a warrior, both eye guards were broke and the G1 on the left is broke also, he has scars on his face from fighting. Filled my last buck tag and after driving over to retrieve with my Polaris Ranger, the wife and I saw the big 10 chasing does. Fortunately the wife still has a buck tag, she’ll hunt him the next few weeks. The we start taking our 6 does. I took a picture of him coming in and then the pic as he laid. Far from the biggest I’ve taken but a good representation of Texas Hill country free range bucks.

Attachments

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tonight I started filling doe tags. Had 20-25 in front of me, had to shoot sitting down. The Palmer Bh on my CE RZ pushed by 50# on the fingers limbs attached to my DAS 21” (Steve’s old riser) fletching stuck in but 25” or so of arrow hanging out the other side. She broke the arrow when she fell 40 yards away. Down to my last two tags. Wife has 3 to go. We could fill them all in a couple days but being particular. Tonight I watched to pick the biggest doe that didn’t have a yearling tagging along.
Upon field dressing I found the BH broke ribs on both sides, a reason it didn’t completely pass through.

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You folks must eat a lot of venison. We have similar size deer here in Coke County. I just cannot force myself to shoot a doe these days. Lots of work for little meat. I think maybe my aversion came from the time that I and a buddy did a doe clean up on a ranch near Junction and came home on Sunday night with nine of them. Up all night long skinning and boning out does. Congrats on your success. It is a great way to avoid the stupid high prices at the meat counter.
We harvest about 8 deer a year for our own use. The other two tags I supply processed meat to family members. 8 deer cut up into steaks and burger lasts the year for the two of us. We don’t buy red meat at all or pork. We get plenty of hogs also. I process all my own animals, built a walk in cooler also. That way I can hang the deer to age it also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts