Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting with a coach for about 1.5 years now. There is no question that my form has improved immensely (and my equipment is much cooler than a year ago too :p. But I find I am still having one issue: If I use an anchor on the side of my face, whether it is the corner of my mouth or anything higher, I have to aim to the right to hit the x. If I put the point on the x I am left - period (right handed shooter).

So to you BB shooters with much more experience (or not) than I, what is your experience? Where are you aiming using what anchor? Also add your draw length and arrow length please so I can rule out something there.

Thanks all.

Alan

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
To me, it seems your arrows are too stiff. You might try to correct with the plunger or string alignment or poundage.

Otherwise move your target over a bit. ;)

Reactions: aerosenfield

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
My line is perfect three under and on the upper canine with middle finger and thumb tucked behind my jaw. The problem is my nose is in the way,,working on this now short of removing my nose.:shooting:

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I adjust the bow to hit where I put my point. I set it up, get it shooting good with my side anchor, similar to what Sam uses. Then I do final tweak via changing plunger tension or moving center shot till its going where Im pointing it. Part of my bareshaft tuning however is setting centershot with a stiff plunger and then tune the arrow to hit where Im pointing it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My arrows seem to group well - using both fletched and bare shaft - all in a nice group. What you all seem to have hit on that I have NOT focused on is the string blur and where the string is. Thank you guys - I will play with that today.

Damn, and here I was hoping I was going to have to buy some new stuff!! ;)

Alan

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had the same problem had to aim right to hit center finally wised up and went to weaker spined arrows (for my LB's).
I don't know, maybe I didn't do enough research, or didn't ask the right questions. But until recently I had no idea that when shooting a Howard Hill style one has to drop below the weight stated on the bow. i.e. I have found that with both my H.H. L.Bs I shoot more accurately with arrows (woodies) spined 3 to 5#s under the stated bow draw weight. Whereas with a recurve I have to shoot 5 to 10# heavier spined arrows than the draw weight stated on the bow.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buy new stuff and get the arrow under your eye....then if you miss left, check bow centershot, if centershot is good......... buy weaker arrows
I just received a new riser from Holger (Stolid Bull), I guess I will have to buy a Vanquish as well!

Rod, even if bareshafted arrows are grouping well, go with weaker arrows? I have been using an anchor that is the middle of my lips (so about the same height as corner of the mouth but centered on my head), string straight down my nose and chin and I don't have the right/left issues.

Mentally I feel like going to the corner of my mouth and the longer draw length would be worthwhile but maybe that is all in my head?

Alan

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Why can't your coach help you figure this out???

Also check your grip I've had grips before that will shoot fine on an Olympic setup but will cause torque for a BB riser...also make sure our rest material like Velcro doesn't have a groove burnt into it causing your shaft to ride the groove and affect your lefts and rights...had this happen too..

Dewayne Martin

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have been shooting with a coach for about 1.5 years now. There is no question that my form has improved immensely (and my equipment is much cooler than a year ago too :p. But I find I am still having one issue: If I use an anchor on the side of my face, whether it is the corner of my mouth or anything higher, I have to aim to the right to hit the x. If I put the point on the x I am left - period (right handed shooter).

So to you BB shooters with much more experience (or not) than I, what is your experience? Where are you aiming using what anchor? Also add your draw length and arrow length please so I can rule out something there.

Thanks all.

Alan
Alan, two things come to mind.

1. All have pointed out spine, to stiff. If that's not the case then two.

2. Form, now I know you said you have good form working with a coach. Was that barebow form, high anchor? Or low Olympics sight form?

With a high anchor, I too shoot left without sights, but my shafts bare shaft fine. As I move my anchor up my face the point on move left. I wish I could've post the slow motion video I took the other day. Anyway, I will try to explain. At first it appeared that I was released off my face. Pluck. But as i ran the video frame by frame I had good form at the release. So why did I have shot to the left? The only question was form. As I practiced it appeared that I could get some really spot on shots when I moved from right to left. But come down from the top or up from the bottom the group would be to the left. As I started to explore the form issue and watching the video more. I could feel and see that at high anchor my form could not be fully extended at release. What I mean is I now have to shoot with a slightly bent bow arm.
So, the side of your face causes you to tilt out. Putting slight pressure to the left and therefore push to the left. For me four to six inches to the left at 30 yard. With a slightly bent elbow I now push straightforward allowing the string straighten out.

If this is not the case then it's back to buying more arrows. Lol. Let us know how it works.
Dan

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I just received a new riser from Holger (Stolid Bull), I guess I will have to buy a Vanquish as well!

Rod, even if bareshafted arrows are grouping well, go with weaker arrows? I have been using an anchor that is the middle of my lips (so about the same height as corner of the mouth but centered on my head), string straight down my nose and chin and I don't have the right/left issues.Mentally I feel like going to the corner of my mouth and the longer draw length would be worthwhile but maybe that is all in my head?

Alan
Post pics of this at full draw from front/back/bow side. I suspect you are reaching out of line to get to this anchor, causing a poor release.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Interesting post. There are times that I find myself drilling arrows in groups to the left of my aim point, regardless of the weakest arrows I can find. I shoot with a high anchor. After, much thought and anguish, I have found that on occasion I will find myself pushing too ambitiously with my bow arm, pulling my bow shoulder out of alignment and basically push the arrows to the left. When I have a more relaxed, but low set bow shoulder my shots will straighten out. Also, on occasion I find my self tilting my head during the draw cycle throwing my self out of alignment and changing my line of sight which further compounds the problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I'm kinda thinking your coach was the best guy to sort this out as he is there with you. I agree though, sounds like either bow torque or stiff arrows.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello

For me I had to go and shoot a few arrows just now. Really have done it for so many years shooting a split tab, being a little further under my chin.And draw hand a little straighter.. Just gave it no though, since my string is on the center of my nose. And my anchor is dead solid, with 3 under..

So here goes raise the bow to the target with a some what open stance.
Start my draw back and down. At this time the bottom limb goes forward and up.
Sorta like your heeling the bow hand up.Or the riser rocking up.

Then when I bring my draw hand down and up. The web of my index finger and thumb splits my jaw bone. Heel of the draw hand or little finger.Is at a slight up angle
At that time the bow riser is level. And I slightly turn my head to the right.And rest my nose on the center of bow string.I have a dead solid anchor lock.
Me and my old buddy Jack. Youst to call it jacking the bow string. [ Later

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
sumpin is going on. if tuned to 50 yards, with a point on about there, I am good to 80. If in long crawls for short range I may have to adjust for a stiff arrow.

If I have one finger on the arrow I am right under the bull from here to yonder

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys - I played today - no question it is getting string blur in the right location. Since I used to an anchor in the middle of my head, the string naturally lines up. With the anchor to the corner of my mouth, I had to change the string to the left side of the arrow.

Now I just have to get rid of the urge to draw and shoot right away. Sigh, always something! Thanks!

Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
Anchoring in the middle of the head is just wrong for shooting with fingers. At release the string and the butt of the arrow move an inch or more to the left so they need to start to the right of the target line. This is the beginning of the archer's paradox.

Your move to the side of your mouth and the string blur to the right is a move in the right direction.

For barebow archery the arrow tip should be in line with target center at all distances. Getting that to happen is a matter of posture, anchor and tuning the tackle.

It is unfortunate that your coach did not sort this out for you at the very beginning. Fix the posture and the anchor and if you are still not hitting in line get back to us for help tuning your tackle to make it so. - lbg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts