Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got sick Memorial Day weekend. Felt like alcohol poisoning though I didn't drink that much. Had a 103 degree fever, chills, muscle aches and fatigue. Checked into the ER. Tests showed elevated heart, kidney & liver functions. Doctors were confused by the mix of symptoms. I'd been turkey hunting in the Pocono Mountains, northeastern Pennsylvania a few days before. So, I suggested the possibility of a tic-borne illness. I didn't notice any tics and had no detectable bites. At first the doctors were skeptical, but did the testing and treated with anti-biotics. It takes a long time (until today) to get the test results, so they treated first to be on the safe side. Failure to treat can lead to more serious complications.

Anyway, if you get symptoms, consider getting tested & treated for a tic-borne illness. This might not occur to many doctors if you don't suggest it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ticks seem to carry some really unusual illnesses that you would never expect originated from them. My son came down with alpha-gal from a tick. He has an allergic reaction to eating a meat from a mammal.

·
Registered
812 Posts
A comprehensive of tick-borne illnesses in the U.S.A :

Needless to say . . . “Be careful out there” . . .

regards,

John

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Another tic disease I have to worry about. I live in a tick infested area. I usually get between 5 and 20 every year. So far this year I have had 6 in me already. Luckily I have never had lyme disease. Many of my neighbors have. I will have to check this one out.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
ticks. how I hate them. I get them a lot.
some people do same things I do and never get ticks.
I tell folks ticks like me so much, I can hear them coming through the grass.
I'm one that the areas turn red around bites and take a week or so to go away.
BEEN LUCKY.

Reactions: GilV

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anybody living in areas with tick-borne diseases should treat all outdoor clothing with permethrin spray and also make sure dogs and cats are protected with flea & tick collars or topical.

It's not enough to just check yourself for ticks. They have found for example that deer tick nymphs which are practically microscopic transmit Lyme disease just as much as the adults.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The nrst thing a person can do is to get a bottle of Doxcyline 100mg. Same thats used as an anti malarial. Soon as you find tic on you, get it off take 200mg of it.
Read the about Doxy and Lyme in the New England journal of Med. They found if you take the doxy within 24-36hrs it can reduce the chance of illness by 60%.
I have not got Lyme since i started this. I het a lot of tics. So my Doc gives me script for the Doxy.

HH~

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When I am working in the woods I use boots with my pants tucked in and spray permethrin on my clothes and boots. You can’t always protect yourself by just doing that. In my area they are all over in trees and on brush. If you tried to completely cover up you couldn’t last in the heat of summer.

One other thing you need to do around your home is treat your property with Triazinon. This stuff works great for ticks and chiggers. If I don’t treat my property and I step off my driveway into the pine needles I will have a tick on me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Anybody living in areas with tick-borne diseases should treat all outdoor clothing with permethrin spray and also make sure dogs and cats are protected with flea & tick collars or topical.

It's not enough to just check yourself for ticks. They have found for example that deer tick nymphs which are practically microscopic transmit Lyme disease just as much as the adults.
Not exactly.

The larval stage are the extremely small ones - and they are less likely to give you Lyme Disease from everything I can find.

The nymphs are small but not vanishingly small,

Im not saying dont treat your clothes with permethrin but Im not a fan of exaggerated information just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: JPH

·
Registered
11 Posts
We live in central Wi. I have cattle and am with them everyday. I will remove multiple ticks everyday, even from the cattle, they seem to like the top shoulders of the bulls. This last spring my wife became very sick,felt terrible with high heart rate. Being she is a nurse, and usually doesn't complain, it was unusual when she said she wanted to go to emergency. She was septic they said from an infected root cannal. After a week in hospital, they found anaplasma. It was a scary week. What these gents say is worth listening to. Beware, I shower everyday during tick season!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not exactly.

The larval stage are the extremely small ones - and they are less likely to give you Lyme Disease from everything I can find.

The nymphs are small but not vanishingly small,

Im not saying dont treat your clothes with permethrin but Im not a fan of exaggerated information just to be on the safe side.
OK. I'll stop worrying about ticks. Thanks for this helpful advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts