Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday a group, including myself, from my County Archery Association traveled to London to the National Army Museum to hear two evening lectures entitled "Bowmen of England" The first presentation was delivered by the respected historian Dr. Andrew Ayton. Dr. Ayton has just published what many believe to be the definitive book on the battle of Crecy. His lecture was a fascinating detailed account of the tactics of the battle and the events surrounding the English victory. The second lecture was an overview of the English War Bow delivered by none other than that well known thespian, author and all round jolly good egg Mr. Robert Hardy. Roberts lecture was delivered with a passion you would come to expect from a man thats spent over 30 years researching , writing and publishing works on the Long Bow.
During the interval I was lucky enough to have a brief chat with Mr. Hardy and also get my copies of his 2 books, LongBow and the Great War bow signed by the author and to my delight I was also able to get my copy of the Great War Bow signed by the co-author Mathew Strickland.
So... all in all a very enjoyable Saturday evening :)

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Were the lectures recorded by any chance? if so how could one obtain a tape/cd or transcription?

Reactions: Phil

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think they were recorded DWS, if they were I didn't see any recording or video equipment. Thinking about it.. it's a shame they weren't recorded in some way they were two fabulous lectures. I'll contact The National Army Museum and check .. just in case.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry DWS

.. I called the NAM .. it wasn't recorded.. sorry :sbrug:

·
beginner ELB shooter
399 Posts
Ditto what Steve said. :D

I really must get to the UK one day ... If I could have Archery and sheep dog trials, my two great loves in one fabulous holiday - what a dream that would be! :)

Lucky you, Phil. Glad you enjoyed it enough for all of us.
Best regards,

Nevadan

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing stopping you Nevadan... Sheep dog trials start about the same time (March to October) as the out door target season. .... Think of it..Sheep trial on a Saturday... two way clout on Sunday... what a weekend that would be for you...
...."come by..come by"

·
beginner ELB shooter
399 Posts
LOL, nothing but $$, Sir Phil. ;)

Someday, though! Hubby wants to go, too - He lived in Suffolk for 3 or 4 years as a boy, when his dad was stationed down there at Bentwaters in the USAF. He's always wanted to go back and see Felixstowe and all his old haunts.

LOL, me, I just want to see good dogs and long bow archery! Well, and a few castles and historical sites and the Yorkshire Dales and old ruins and a few pints of good brown ale ... followed by a wee junket to Ireland and maybe a quick shufty over to Jersey ... :D Must save more pennies. Trouble is, I keep spending on archery stuff ... :p

"Come by", indeed! LOL!
Cheers ~

Nevadan

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Nevadan

You and your hubby come and stay at my place (Yorkshire) our Field club "Riggwelter" which is an old Yorkshire\Norse meaning for sheep that's been Rigg (rolled over) Welter (stuck) we have plenty of sheep on the course so you can herd and shoot at the same time :)

By the way it can be quite cold and wet in the winter, hence the sheep getting water-logged and rolling over, in the winter we often walk round the course rescuing sheep as we shoot.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There you go Nevadan.. problem solved.. Yorkshire hospitality at it's finest..so.. it"s everyone round to Steve's place... :cheers:

·
beginner ELB shooter
399 Posts
Gosh, Steve! :)

That is so incredibly kind of you! I wish I could promise we'd take you up on your invite soon, but ... one of these days!

LOL, I must say that performing sodden-sheep-rescues between targets would certainly make an interesting stump-shooting field course! :p It would be lovely to visit an archery club over there, though, even just to watch other folks shoot. I do feel isolated at times, shooting here at home, so it would be heavenly to gather with a whole group of rabid - er, devoted fellow archers. :shooting:

LOL, and I like Phil's idea - we could get a whole gang of us together for a day on the range, followed by a nice evening pint or three at the local pub. Must remember to plan that out, whenever hubby and I can make the trip!

Best regards,

Nevadan
P.S.
I am actually working on converting hubby to The Dark Side ... Being a cowboy type, he's expressed interest in the horse bows, Mongol or Hun or what-have-you. He works away from home 2 weeks of every month, so his recreational time gets crimped, but maybe ... :D He's already an avid pistol target shooter. Must study on this ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.