Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
赛
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ireland - or at least the SW - has had a rough winter. Its been wet, really wet. Up until we got a break a few days ago, where I live on the Iveragh Peninsula had racked up 62 straight days of storm.

Call it amphibious archery.

Anyway, I was checking the state of my gear last night and the calf hair shelf and leather sideplate on my bow were thrashed. Kaput. Water and the inevitable mud had taken their toll.

And - who'd a thunk it? - the ballistic nylon I've been playing with lately came straight to mind. Why not put it to the torture test as a shelf & sideplate?

So I made one up - shelf & sideplate are one piece; no seam to catch water/dirt. I backed it with the 3mm felt because I felt that it might create a little forgiveness to my less than consistent release :p . Shot a couple dozen shots with it today before the heavens opened again. Its really early to tell, but it shoots very nicely and very silent. Gonna bareshaft it soon as I get a chance and see what its doing compared to my old setup.

Here's a pic -

I'll be interested to see what it looks like after a couple of months
of the prevailing amphibious SOP.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello
Nice Idea . Let us know how the torture test works out.
Ballistic nylon, what number thickness. Received 1680 and 1050. And its just plain thin . [ Later

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. After 62 stormy days anyone would go ballistic!

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
It comes to something when the Irish moan about rain. They're normally wellie deep in water all year round anyway 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,511 Posts

·
8,511 Posts

·
赛
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grey -

Touché :fencing:

Funny thing. I built motoryachts for 27 years but never, ever did imagine when I picked up the bow again last autumn that I'd now be marinising all my freakin' archery gear . . .

Jon -

Yeah I live in rubber bogstompers, but I ain't sunk down yet to rubber fletching!

Regards,

Salskov

·
8,511 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts