Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago 5 of us travelled to a So. PA club to shoot an IBO shoot which was new to me and most of the others. We shot the traditional stakes and I believe the distances advertised were 28-33 yards give or take a few. I had no problem with the yardage because you get used to everything being somewhere in that range however target placement was my gripe.

First target, a carp out in the lake at 30 yards with no method of retrieving arrows in the lake so 2 lost arrows on the first target by the group. Third target a javelina and an alligator at 30 yards on the crest of a hill in front of the lake so if you missed high the arrows sailed into the lake with no method of retrieving them. Another lost arrow. Seemed almost every target was backed up to an impenetrable thicket, on the crest of a hill or set out in a field with a briar patch as a backstop. One target had a metal farm gate as a backstop and one of the group's arrows did a 90 degree right turn but we found it. It's like they went out of their way to find the worst backstop in the area for each target. We lost 4-5 arrows and even the two compounders behind us complained.

I wrote the club a nice email explaining how it was for us traditional shooters and emphasised it wasn't the yardage that was the problem but the backstops on the targets. I did say that we would return and support their shoots if the backstops were a little more fair. I never got a reply.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like the person that set the course up must sell arrows also. I like a challenge but I would have gladly taken a zero on the carp in the pond at 30yds. unless the guy that set up wanted to be the backstop.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It happens all the time around Southern Ohio. The courses are set by compound folks who just don't seem to get it. Even at my club, there are only a few traditional shooters, they all know we shoot traditional and still the targets are mostly at maximum range with no backstop but the woods. You should have been at the Third Leg of the IBO Triple Crown at Cardinal Shooting Center last year. They had about a dozen target all set at virtually maximun distance on the edge of a cliff with a flowing river/creek below. Nobody means any harm, but they are used to never missing a target. Last year, my first year shooting traditional, I found the solution. Bring lots of arrows.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
When competing at an IBO and especially a triple crown event the expectation of the trad shooters is to hit the target and in fact not have many 5s. Top end competitive events are difficult and I don't remember one I've gone to in the last 20 years that had backstops.

Local shoots typically have easier layouts and anticipate misses.

If your stepping up to IBO level I would say you need to bring lots of arrows.

BTW most shoots that have the pond shots gather the arrows about every hour and put them in the lost arrow bucket. I know I've got some of mine back that way.

Mike

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you are asking whether you are off base in registering your concerns/points, I would say no..

Depends on how you expressed them.

Course people are certainly off base in not responding to your (assumably) polite and constructive email.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I hate those edge of a ravine targets.I don't see the target I see the ravine.
That's why they put them there ;-).

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are asking whether you are off base in registering your concerns/points, I would say no..

Depends on how you expressed them.

Course people are certainly off base in not responding to your (assumably) polite and constructive email.
I was very polite. The way I look at it they will loose the $10/shooter from 5-10 traditional shooters I hang out with.

To not acknowledge my email is kind of rude to my thinking.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When competing at an IBO and especially a triple crown event the expectation of the trad shooters is to hit the target and in fact not have many 5s. Top end competitive events are difficult and I don't remember one I've gone to in the last 20 years that had backstops.

Local shoots typically have easier layouts and anticipate misses.

If your stepping up to IBO level I would say you need to bring lots of arrows.

BTW most shoots that have the pond shots gather the arrows about every hour and put them in the lost arrow bucket. I know I've got some of mine back that way.

Mike
This was a local shoot and I'd be surprised if they had 20 shooters all day including us.

No, there was no arrow gathering in the pond and no means to gather them.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I did a local shoot in Montana and it was pretty much a rock mountain shoot.....no place was arrow safe.....no backstops (netting) but that wouldn't stop a compound arrow anyway I think.

We have two in the yukon that if you miss you could break an arrow but mostly you lose them under the moss (but we put netting) behind mostly of them or old foam from used target butts to help.

30 yards at a carp......try that with a fishing arrow ;)

Sounds like a poor setup.....probably will get less trad guys next time....sure takes the fun out of it...jer

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nothing wrong with voicing negative or positive. Yes they should respond. As for the target setup, respectively, to me, thats archery. Thats what I like, if kill zones are visually clear, the harder the shot the more fun. When we shoot our range, we rotate who chooses the shot, its always a game of who picks the worst conditions. I don't compete officially, so maybe in an official setting you have a gripe, others would know better than me.
Doug

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
It is probably a matter of who designed the course. I know a club dominated by freestylers who fancy using rocks as backstops. No good for anyone not using a compound bristling with stabilizers and a scope with magnification. When this is mentioned, the reply is a smug "well duh, don't miss the target". I suppose this is a way of keeping the range to themselves and/or earn a distinction for being "tough".

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Most of the IBO was at Louisville since Wednesday of Last week helping get setup for the NASP/IBO event...give it a little more time they should respond..however it will probably be from the host club.

In the defense of the club..

1 they can only work with what they have...if all they have is briars and thickets then it is what it is.

2 Trad shooters share stakes with ALOT of different compound classes like BB finger shooters,youth boys and many other and this is why ALOT of the shots are at the 30 yard max with no backstop..to challenge everyone.

I'm with Mike I've never went to a sanctioned event that had backstops.

The Triple Corwn is a tough shoot you absolutely earn every point.

Dewayne Martin

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
Here it depends on who helps set up the targets.
Granted we don't have a lot choices for backdrop, rock, knee high cheat gras, sage.
Normally a few recurve shooters are there helping set up the shoot and we are the ones setting up a turkey at 100 yards or the mosquito at 70.
Not to loose arrows or break them but to step up our game and make the compounders think what the hell.
I would say most of the traditional stakes are 30-50 average shot, granted there are a few gimmie 20 yard shots.

Me personally I like the hard/realistic shots

Chad

·
Registered
607 Posts
I guess I should not have used the word backstop, that was a poor choice of words. Most of the shoots I go to do not have backstops. I like a challenging shot as much as the next guy. When the group of us shoot we often take 80yd shots through the woods at a 3d animal, but if we miss we have a pretty good chance of finding our 12 dollar arrows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts