Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try some aluminum arrows for hunting. My set up is 51# @ 27 inches ,Stalker recurve with static limbs. I draw to 27 inches and shoot an elevated rest. I want to shoot 160 grain Simmons Landsharks. I'm thinking 2016's or 2018's, cut to 28inches. What do you think ,am I close? Thank you for all answers

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It's all just a guess...
I recommend that you get a couple of different shafts to try.
Lancaster Archer will sell singles if you cannot find someone locally to give you a couple to tr.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can get 2016’s,2018’s, and 2117’s all to tune with a little length and point weight adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not the most experienced bow hunter, but don't aluminum arrows outweigh carbon arrows significantly. I have Easton Gamegetters with Zwikey Eskimo 2 blade broadheads, with a weight of 576 gr. Heavier gives more kinetic energy, thus deeper penetration, or am I wrong. With my 45# Martin Hatfield takedown, theses arrows and broadheads have worked for me on Whitetails hear in Wisconsin.

·
Super Moderator
2,658 Posts
Actually, you are wrong. Aluminum and wooden arrows of a given spine are heavier than carbons. Heavier produces less kinetic energy but more momentum. Kinetic is what kills in rifle bullets but momentum produces penetration which is what kills in archery, What kills quickest for us is through and through penetration of the lung area. It lets the air out and they go down in seconds. - lbg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks lbg for setting me straight. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on archery, but I like to learn. Does the setup I listed above sound about right for deer hunting? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,658 Posts
2016, no more. - lbg

·
Registered
627 Posts
Shot aluminium for about the first 2 years doing target archery, XX75 PP

My experience is, do not cut them below 28", they shoot great from recurve/LB if u have them long enough

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
What carbon are you shooting? Deflection is deflection. A 2016 is .531, 2018 is .464, and a 2117 is. 400. Carbon does recover quicker and one of the reasons for better penetration.

Bowmania

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please take the time to try to bareshaft. I shoot aluminums and when i took the time to bareshaft them i was suprised to find out i was drastically underspined. Even more so than i would have thought. I shoot 55# and a 175g point. I reached my minimum possible length of 29.5" and im still underspined with a 2219 which is .336 spine. Crazy i know! However with consistant shooting and good repetable form the bareshaft test doesnt lie! My point is your personal shooting style/setup can effect your needed spine so dont assume! J.M.O

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm when I had my stalker it was 52lbs at 28 which I was drawing too. I was shooting 2016s with 175 up front. I forget what I had them cut too. Have you tried getting a arrow shaft tune kit from 3 rivers?

·
Super Moderator
2,658 Posts
I forgot to suggest earlier to leave your shafts overlong to begin tuning. If need be you can trim them a bit at a time with a simple tube cutter from your hardware store to fine tune. Get a stick of hot melt glue while you are there. When you cut a shaft chamfer it with the tang of a file, or a jack knife. - lbg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went on the dynamic spine chart and found that certain bows are way way way overrated for the dynamic spine out put. Because of the grains per section inch of shaft weight of wood and aluminum, bare shaft testing is not as predictable or conclusive as doing the same with carbon shafts. Carbon has all of its weight up front, so the light shaft follows along. I do not know what a Stalker is for center cut, but If you are using a predetermined length, spine and head weight, I do the same, tuning a fletched shaft comes in the form of brace height, building out the shelf and changing point weights. Most bows will shoot a wider spine range in aluminum than many think. Make sure that you are tuned before jumping through hoops to tune your set up. The personal factor in all tuning is a big one. Example, two guys trying out the same bow with the same arrows and shooting through a chronograph. They were shooting a measured and marked set of arrows, to get the same draw length. There was a consistent 10 feet per second difference in the reading, even though the observed draw lengths were the same. I pointed out one difference between the two. One had a dynamic bow arm and release while the other had a locked bow arm and locked anchor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up with 400 spine GT's cut to 29" and 160 grain point. Thank you for all the info . It was interesting reading and helped a lot .Thank you all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts