Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start by saying that it's been a long time since I've worked with aluminum arrows. As such, there's probably a lot that I've forgotten. The shafts in question are Easton XX75 Camo Hunter and XX75 Tribute 1916. Inserts are Easton inserts.

In the past I would cut my shafts to length, debur the inside of the tube, then epoxy my inserts. This time around I wanted to use full length shafts, however, the issue is that my inserts will only fit if I chamfer the inside of the shaft to a very thin edge.
Writing implement Office supplies Mobile phone Wood Audio equipment

Otherwise my inserts only go so far.
Cosmetics Office supplies Tints and shades Writing implement Writing instrument accessory

The problem I see with the thin leading edge is that I think it may allow the insert to slide into the shaft on impact with the target. I never had to chamfer after cutting to length, only debur the inside with a few twists on a deburring tool.

I don't remember struggling this much to install inserts. I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I've never used uncut, full length aluminum arrows, so this is new territory for me. I'd appreciate insights into this situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I always tapped mine in and would smack them pretty good and that was after only after cleaning the inside, I would have to check the inserts for proper size.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Maynard - my experience with Easton RPS inserts (and other brands too) is that they require a fair amount of force to get them to seat completely flush into the shaft. It's those last few millimetres that can be stubborn. I also use Bohning hot melt (the amber type, not the blue low temp melt) thus I am wondering if your epoxy glue method without heat, is causing some difficulty. You're spot on though, with your thinly edged chamfer...something is amiss - there should not be a need to have such an aggressive chamfer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Portlylawman & Tracker1: Not even with a LOT of pressure. That's why I thought, "WTF!" Which we all know means "Wednesday Thursday Friday!"

Just tried an insert without any epoxy, and it's the same situation. Got a pm suggesting taking measurements with calipers. Great idea; just need to find them. Recently moved to northwest Arkansas and some things are still boxed up.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have noticed what you are talking about because I save cut offs to foot carbon shafts. Its like the edge is rolled. Maybe something in the finishing of the shaft process?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts