Trad Talk Forums banner

Aluminium shafts and hunting

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  JamieR 
#1 ·
Been a long while since I've even looked at the state of play with aluminium shafts in a hunting context. Who still hunts with alu, and why, when carbon is so inexpensive and reliable?

As I see it the pros/cons look like this. Please tell me what I've left out:

Pros

1. Environment and health - Alu is cleaner. Carbon nanotubes seem to be about as carcinogenic as asbestos and big lumps of that fibre will take hundreds, even thousands of years to break down. Will end up in everything including freshwater. Hate to trash clean forest with lost carbon arrows.

2. Noise - aluminium shafts are real quiet compared to carbon

3. Tuning - way more spine options

4. Weight - easier to achieve heavier arrows at the desired dynamic spine

Cons

1. Damage - they like bending and bloody difficult to straighten when they are

2. Tuning - bit less options if you want to go with inserts (true?)

3. Harder to hide - shafts often have a shine

What else?

See less See more
#3 ·
I shoot both too. I agree with portylawman. They do seem more quiet. I shoot lower poundage and mainly use 600 spine carbons and occasionally use 1916’s. The arguement could be made that a 600 spine 1916 is a much better choice for hunting due to the extra weight with no effort in building them.

#4 ·
I think you are totally misunderstanding the dangers of carbon fiber.

Ground up into powder - ya its dangerous. Not because its a harmful chemical but because the pieces get in your luings(like asbestos and silica) and do damage and stay. Otherwise - not so much.

#6 ·
Yeah I know that's the case. I cut my carbon and file them down. I use a vacuum cleaner mounted to suck the particles as I do (for ~5 years didn't even do that). But even handling my arrows there is small bit of dust when they are new. Pull a nock out and there's a little. Weekly contact with the stuff. Not ideal.

#5 ·
Have wacked a lot of stuff with aluminum✅
Carbons don't bend or break as easy unless you get to 600 spine.
500's and down are thicker and more durable.
Only way I'd go back to aluminum?
Someone gave me a bunch of 1916's or 2213's XX75's. Miss those Orange.
Forgot, Aluminum makes a different sound, Kawack! when they hit ribs🤪
Carbons not so much😢

#7 ·
I personally shoot both but i enjoy working with aluminum more. For me and my perception it just is more forgiving, easier to tune, and hot melt just allows me to adjust thing so much easier. I also like being able to strip fletching and not damage the finish without wraps. Carbon has its advantages, but i guess i just like how aluminum works for me.

#8 ·
I don't hunt with my traditional bows yet, but I shoot aluminum for both those and my compound. Before I got used to range estimation, I would lose a lot of expensive carbons on the 3D course. I bought some Gamegetters (they still make 'em) with the intent of switching back once I got better, but I really don't see a reason to now. They tune well, they're cheap, easy to build yourself, and I love how they look. A quiver full of XX75 Camohunters makes me happy. I also found some old autumn orange ones on eBay and put white feathers on them. Awesome.

#11 ·
I don't hunt with my traditional bows yet, but I shoot aluminum for both those and my compound. Before I got used to range estimation, I would lose a lot of expensive carbons on the 3D course. I bought some Gamegetters (they still make 'em) with the intent of switching back once I got better, but I really don't see a reason to now. They tune well, they're cheap, easy to build yourself, and I love how they look. A quiver full of XX75 Camohunters makes me happy. I also found some old autumn orange ones on eBay and put white feathers on them. Awesome.
[/QUOTE

I have game getters, tribute, legacy and camo hunter 1916 and 2016 arrows. The only difference to the best of my knowledge is the nock collar on the game getter cant be replaced if broken because it is plastic.
I also have heard that level of straightness, with the camo hunters is the highest rating and gamegettes are the lowest. Not that I can tell, if my form is on they all group together. I am a big fan for sure. Price, weight and performance make them a great choice.

#10 ·
I hunt with aluminums out of my trad bows. I like the for the following reasons.

1- the have do not have a weak and stiff side but are the same spine through out.

2- they are easy to work with a pipe cutter and a pocket knife to de-burr is all you need and they aren’t fussy about heat or solvents. Use a lighter on them to pull an insert or clean up with acetone. No biggie

3- they’re cheaper. Yea if if you shoot through something they are usually toast but, a dozen is far cheaper than carbons when you factor in tolerances.

4- they’re cool. Always have been

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.