Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Alternative Services in the UK started carrying the Win&Win Black Elk riser this week. I think it's a really nice riser at a very good price. 21" risers seem like a good place to start for many people getting into ILF recurves.

Compared to other budget ILF risers like the TBow, I think the Black Elk at this price is probably a better bet.

I recently bought my wife an Explore DX 21" riser, and liked it so much I ordered a Black Elk for myself. The Explore DX is cast and for 40# and under, while the Black Elk is forged and good up to 65 pounds.

· Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Supraspinatus. Merlin also has them for about the same price except without the 1-2 week special order waiting time. I ordered one last week for £107 that should be arriving today actually.

· Registered
39 Posts
Thank you, I hope I like it too. The 21" riser size seems to shoot great for me and I actually think the Black Elk is a good looking riser. I'm hoping to do a comparison post after I get my replacement SD21 and have some time to shoot both side by side.

· Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Seems like Dave Holquist had a Black Elk riser for about a year or so and really liked it. Maybe he will chime in on this.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Riser looks very good, all the features. That front profile shows the kind of sight picture I like. That is really open. Just not a fan of those decorative cutaways, a bit posh. No big deal though.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, the site window is the main reason I bought one. I wanted a riser that I could use any anchor with. "Posh," yeah, LOL. I think it looks elegant in person, but a bit effete compared to some trad risers, which are somewhat butch and "machine shop".:)

· Registered
5,657 Posts
I did have the Black Elk and the Explore DX risers at the same time. Both are nice shooting, lightweight risers that are almost identical to the eye. Supposedly, the Black Elk is forged.

IMO, the only downsides with the Black Elk are that there are no holes for a quiver and there did not seem to be many grip options, although that may have changed. The riser could easily be drilled and tapped for a quiver but I just never got around to it. At the time, I had another 21" riser that I was infatuated with so neither the Black Elk or the Explore riser got much play so I sold or traded them off.

A friend of mine has my old Explore riser and really likes it. Yes, I would consider buying another Black Elk.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Draven. My wife is now a little envious of the nice wood grip on my Black Elk. Her Explore DX, meant for kids, I think, has a nice composite grip that fits her small hand, but she would much prefer wood. Do you think anyone makes small wood grips for either the Black Elk or Explore DX?

· Registered
12 Posts
I picked up my brand new Black Elk with matching 40lb limbs this past Saturday from my Archery school/store and shot it (there) for about a 1/2hr.

I actually ordered a bronze riser but after waiting 10+wks and still no confirmation of shipping from the Supplier, I decided on the black riser. The fit and finish looks very good and the wood grip is beautiful imo.

I'm 5 months new to Archery but knew after 2 sessions I wanted a non-flashy metal riser with a traditional look vs Olympic. Although I don't have much of a base to compare the Black Elk to (except for the stuff the Academy has) I really like the bow. My other bow is a 52" Tatar style 40lb that I've been shooting lots while waiting for the Black Elk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts