Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up one of the new Elite recurves and am probably thinking to hard.

I've used the Free Flyte rests the past few years but on occasion have caught it on brush and bent it. This concerns me when we are that far from town.
The riser is cut 5/8 past center so a stick on is out of the question and I've had real bad luck with springy rests.

Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
582 Posts
CenterRest Flipper is pretty much one of the most durable rests I can think of. Very difficult to mess up. Carry a couple extra heads and even if you managed to pull one off the post you'd be back in business in seconds.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,517 Posts
NAP Center rest might work if you trim it down. Nice thing about a Center Rest is you can carry a spare flipper or two.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,664 Posts
With a bow like that I am assuming that you would want to shoot a plunger. In that case you probably have the best rest. They can snag. You just need to make sure you have an Allen wrench. If you don't go with a plunger then the two suggestions above will work. I would think for a bow that sophisticated that you would want a plunger, like a Beiter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was in Alaska this past September chasing moose for 10 days. I had the same concerns as you. I took my rest off for that hunt and tuned my bow to shoot off the shelf. With that said, when I go back I will just leave my NAP centerrest on. That is one tough rest

I left the NAP rest on during my Idaho mountain lion hunt last month and had zero issues and my bow took more of a beating on that trip than Alaska :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Im looking forward to handling that bow next week at the Indy Deer Expo. I will be there working a booth for the Indiana Bowhunters Association.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the off the shelf option doesn't meet my needs I think I'll try one of the NAP center rest options. I'll give John Wert a call tomorrow when he returns to the office.

Mike

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I just round of a piece of 1/4" think leather....then stick it on and glue the crap out of it...you know how wet it can be there Mike.

try to get some plastic fletch to shoot out of her too.

jer

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
If the off the shelf option doesn't meet my needs I think I'll try one of the NAP center rest options. I'll give John Wert a call tomorrow when he returns to the office.

Mike
It should. I have a sent kits to archers in Canada without any issues.
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan,

No not a problem with the option. But if I don't like it after I give it a try. I know it will work but it might not be the one for me.

We'll see and I appreciate you sending one to try.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mike,

I have never hunted Alaska, but hunt Idaho regularly. I have had pretty good success on metal risers by using a Spigarelli Magnetic Super Recurve rest with a plunger. The nice thing about the rest is that the "arm" will fold in tight to the riser and stay there courtesy of the magnetic system well clear of brush. Arm deploys back to shooting position with just a flick of your thumb or finger. This is an accurate rest and the fact that I can stow the shooting wire marks it even better. Brian

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Next time I'm in Texas I'll come by and teach you how to shoot a springy. Mine worked well in Alaska :):)
I'm setting up one of the new Elite recurves and am probably thinking to hard.

I've used the Free Flyte rests the past few years but on occasion have caught it on brush and bent it. This concerns me when we are that far from town.
The riser is cut 5/8 past center so a stick on is out of the question and I've had real bad luck with springy rests.

Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gary,

Yep Rusty loves springy rests. To tell the truth I haven't tried them for 15 yrs. Shot them back in the day on compounds with fingers and never liked them much.

Personal opinion and not fact based.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts