Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post up our experiences with newly legalized crossbows for deer hunting (ain't good) but they might be the least of our worries now. This thing just hit the market.

http://www.crosman.com/connect/introducing-the-benjamin-pioneer-airbow/

"Pioneer Airbow by Crosman is a revolution of traditional archery equipment"

"This is an entirely new category of weapon that broadens opportunities for hunters while also renewing opportunities for those who may have left the sport because they are physically unable to draw a compound bow or cock a crossbow,"

Crossbows started with the exact same argument.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
fx has one of those already. I think its funny to watch the xbow guys claim its not what bow hunting is and shouldnt be in the archery season. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
their description of it being a "traditional" piece of archery equipment is stupid. hope most or all states ban them for hunting in any season but firearms.
they fill a need that is not there. there is no justification for the inclusion of them in archery. they have an artificial propulsion system just like a firearm.

·
Premium Member
12,617 Posts
yikes that is a GUN, it has no limbs, it can't be called a bow.
it shoots a bullet out of a barrel, it's just a longer bullet than guns of the past.
write your DNR.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
It still kills by hemorrhaging via a wound channel created by an archery projectile. I guess I dont see much difference between this and a crossbow. Neither has you holding draw weight, both have a stock/forearm, trigger/safety, and need to be cocked. If you buy the hand pump, there is no question there is more human effort put into each shot than with a xbow.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could this be legal in some states already? I'm not sure how a crossbow is defined. Now that they are pretty much legal everywhere someone is bound to come up with a better mousetrap. What if it used a big spring instead? There are air springs in some air rifles now too (and most every semi-truck)...

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
in my state they would have to be used only in modern firearm season like a crossbow.
hope that the price of 800+ is a put off to people. wonder also if the arrow is propelled by a burst of air or a plunger? either way, it would need a special arrow?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
in my state they would have to be used only in modern firearm season like a crossbow.
hope that the price of 800+ is a put off to people. wonder also if the arrow is propelled by a burst of air or a plunger? either way, it would need a special arrow?
From their Q&A.

Q:First, is the arrow ( bolt ) just laying in that wide front end, it does not appear to be centered on a rail like in all crossbows. Secondly, no mention is made of ability to shoot fixed broadheads, I assume it is ok? Last, any word on the legal use for deer hunting where the use of a traditional crossbow bow is ok? Thanks! :) :)
Chip from USA:
A:The "barrel" serves as an arrow rest. A patent pending collar and retainer keeps the arrow center and sealed. We've been successful w/ mechanicals and fixed broadheads and do not recommend one over the other at this time (1/15/16). Crosman is actively lobbying all states for inclusion in crossbow seasons.
Derek from USA:
A:The arrow has a hollow shaft that slides over the "barrel" like a shroud. So there is not a rail system like in traditional crossbows. When the gun fires a blast of air goes through the barrel and hits the solid end of the shaft shooting the arrow forward. You could say that the barrel acts as an initial guide for the arrow.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's an air gun designed to fire an arrow as the projectile. Nothing "bow" about it.

There's an interactive map under "learn more" on their site which shows where an what it's already legal for.

Some poachers around here have used arrows fired out of .410s. This would be like one of their wet dreams come true.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that's a million $ idea, I'll modify one for use on land and call it a spear bow!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
If you look on their website they are pushing every state to legalize it in the crossbow season. If these states wouldn't have allowed the crossbow into the regular archery season, this would be a non issue.
Tells me they arent trying to claim its a bow, but rather whats the difference between it and a crossbow? Neither takes any reasonable skill level to be proficient, nor any real strength.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to Wi deer hunting regs a spear gun would be legal in the xbow season if it had a 100# draw -

Crossbows must have a minimum draw of 100 pounds, a working safety and use at least
14-inch long bolts or arrows equipped with broadheads as described above

Point to note is there is no reference to a bow or limbs of any type, only a draw weight.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the website they are classifying it as an airgun when they show what states it's legal in for specific game. These guys have all their bases covered by saying it's a crossbow too, or "just like one".

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
So, now crossbow hunters have competition. Shoots quiet can be operated it tighter spots, no limbs to contend with aND less movement. It has been over 30 years since this type of argument confronted vertical bow hunters. The future hunter is the targeted audience for this weapon, doesn't matter how it is perceived or justified.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have no issue with the product nor people hunting with it. I just think they will have a hard time getting it classified as a bow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So, now crossbow hunters have competition. Shoots quiet can be operated it tighter spots, no limbs to contend with aND less movement. It has been over 30 years since this type of argument confronted vertical bow hunters. The future hunter is the targeted audience for this weapon, doesn't matter how it is perceived or justified.
Spot on comments. No intended to attract the archery industry.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts